Blogus Maximus

Rubbing people the wrong way since 1970...

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login

Microsoft Blogs

My Articles

My Sites

PodCasts

UG

XNA

I saw the new Halloween movie (Rob Zombie version) this weekend.  More on that in a future post.

One thing that was mentioned in passing was "electroshock therapy."  Now I've never had that, but I can imagine it sucks pretty awful. Especially if it's anything like a Nerve Conduction Study, which I HAVE had the pleasure of experiencing.  I can only assume it's worse.

The wikipedia defines a Nerve Conduction Study as "a test commonly used to evaluate the function, especially the ability of electrical conduction, of the motor and sensory nerves of the human body." What this definition leaves out, is the fact that it also hurts like a bitch.

Here's what they do...  they shove needles into your body at various nerve points (in this case, it was my wrist and elbow, and later my knee and ankle) and then run electricity through your nerves to see how long it takes to get from point A to point B. Typically, there's a bit of a twitch. Mine manifested as a very strong desire to slap the crap out of the smiling doctor everytime he pushed his little button.

This went on for nearly an hour. I've gotten shots, numerous tattoos (some in rather tender areas), been pierced, punched, kicked, broken bones (mine and others) and hit with a baseball bat, all on more than one occasion.  This was worse. This just sucked.

The end result, by the way, was that I have "slow nerves" or something like that. There was a more technical term, but basically it just means that it takes longer than normal for my nerves to transmit a signal from one end to the other. Not a big deal, although my childhood dreams of catching arrows with my bare hands are probably out.

So, what about the new Halloween movie? Well, as I said, that  will be a later post, but I can say that it was good, if not disturbing as hell.
posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 2:04 PM

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 11/26/2008 10:08 PM Kathleen
I have searched high and low today for a comment like yours on this NCV test. The doctor giving the test and the doctor who ordered were like "while it is to be uncomfortable"...
My big strong husband had it done for his lower extremities and howled in pain and said to stop!, this is bull shit! They all have looked at us like he was a big baby! I know my husband and knew this had to hurt him! It was more then "uncomfortable to him, esp., in the groin area!
Thanks for your comments!
kkamper8@aol.com 11-26-08

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 5/14/2009 6:53 PM kathy
it was awful. he kept pushing the metal against my lower left inside the calf and I got bruising from it and it looks like spider veins I very upset about it especially since I have sensitive legs with veins not just nerve problems. I read they use tapes but he held it against my leg also in back of knees. I said he could pay for the vein damage as I recently got the veins done

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 7/8/2009 8:14 PM Lorrie
yikes - I am scheduled for one coming up and my feet already hurt like hell. What are the alternatives?

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 9/8/2009 6:59 PM Lisa
I laughed when I read your post. I got one done today. It wasn't fun. I told the lady that was doing mine that I wanted her job. At least in my dreams and with ex boyfriends. I thought the same thing as well, with the electro-shock therapy. I have also never been through it, but I can just imagine..... Well, at least I made it this far.. I find out the results on monday. I honestly think the dr likes to stick me with needles... It was a good laugh tho.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 9/24/2009 7:44 AM Michelle
I had a NCS done yesterday. It was every bit as bad asI thought it was going to be. The first part of the test was bad, but I grinned and beared it. I made the occasional moan sound, and gripped the side of the table I was lying on. The second part of the test was the Electromyography, where the Dr. inserted needles down into my muscle, and moved the needles around. I was crying like a baby, and squuezing the nurses hand. I wanted them to stop, but I want to know what is wrong with my leg, so I let them proceed.I just hope I never have to go through that again!!!!

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 10/17/2009 9:09 AM Mel Melvin
TO GO.....OR......NOT TO GO???

I am scheduled to have an NCS Thursday. What is the true outcome benefit? If, the test indicates the subjects nerves transmit faster or slower....Now What? Is there a direct diagnosis of XYZ? Does this indicate a requirement for specific rx-meds.? What is the purpose besides having knowledge of the speed at which your nerves transmit, etc.

I have atrophy on top right of my left hand, between the thumb & index finger...What will this test do for me? My 2 objectives are to stop /or/ slow the advance of the atrophy if possible, and to determine whether or not I have the early stages of ALS.....

Mel Melvin - Baton Rouge, La.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 10/17/2009 9:33 AM Chris G Williams
Sorry man, I'm not a doctor. All I know is that mine sucked. If you need answers to these questions, please consult a qualified medical professional.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 7/6/2011 1:55 AM Virginia Simpson
I had my first nerve conduction study and emg done yesterday. After hearing horror tales from my coworkers and reading about other peoples' experiences, I was very apprehensive. The technician first applied the electrodes to several places on both feet and lower legs and sent milli volts of electricity into them about 20 times. Not that bad, really. Then on my feet and lower legs gently inserted 27 gauge needles into various muscles about 15 times while I tensed or relaxed the target muscles. I must have gotten the most skillful and gentle technician. I'd go through it again gladly and would recommend the procedure to friends.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 8/5/2011 8:19 AM Shylaja
Weird experience.Very painful.I got it done for my arms and neck. On the neck they search for nerves know, that procedure is very very pain ful.Too hard for a female.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 1/6/2012 5:17 PM sheldon franklin
dr. 1 stimulated my right median nerve at the elbow and wrist and picked up at APB and showed porlonged latency and decreased amplitude and diagnosed as carpel tunnel syndrome. he said I did not have an all ulnar hand. Then dr. 2 stimulated the ulnar nerve at the wrist and used APB as receptor and found the latency and amplitude was normal at APB and diagnosed martin gruber syndrome. do I have both CTS and MGS. or does this show I do not have CTS?

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 2/2/2012 5:33 AM Kate
Ive now had 2 NCT. Found them both to be annoying but not painful. The 1st went for over an Hour and the second for about 30 mins. After 2nd test AND surgery to biopsy strange indescribable tumour I was told I have Onion Whorl Disease. A tumour that slowly destroys the nerve its attached to, in my case the Sciatic. Less that 100 of us in the whole world!
Also if it gives you some more info then why wouldnt you do whatever you could? Especially if your ability to function as well as you do on a daily basis is at risk!
And who ever said it was "to hard for a woman"
you are a retard.
I spend everyday in pain and will do what ever I can to be able to enjoy life on my terms!

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 6/26/2012 9:37 PM flauwer11
Just had the NCS done today. It didn't bother me at all. Not the shocks nor the needles were bad. Much easier than a cortisone injection.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 7/23/2012 12:22 PM meesch
The first part of the test is the nerve conduction study which tests the nerves. The second part is the EMG which checks the muscles. The test is usually written as NCS/EMG because both are usually performed. The test as a whole checks the function of the nerves and muscles. The standard test is not performed with the needle being inserted and the electrical current given through the needle, although people remember it this way for some reason  The NCS is where you are given the electrical current, during the EMG the needle is inserted and the needle picks up the electrical activity from the muscle. That being said there are occasions when the current is given through the needle but this is not the standard routine study that most need. There are certain nerves that cannot be tested with surface electrodes so it is recorded by the needle. Hope that helps some people.

# re: Nerve Conduction Study 7/26/2013 1:45 PM James
Wow!!!! I had no idea What I was in for. I guess I pushed my arms to the limit over the years as a result of laying tile and masonry that I starred experience numbness,tingling, pain and afffected motor skills on both arms and hands. The procedure was simply tormenting!!! First of all I have a high tolerance for pain and am not the type that whines over the littllist bump or bruise. I've worked thru busted knuckles and hands many of times BC that's what men do to feed their families if needed. Consider me old school I guess. I'm a good 190 lbs of solid muscle which difinately was a factor here. The Dr who performed the test was extremely frustrated BC she couldn't get an accurate result due to my 15 inch forearms. So to my luck she repeated every shock with what I thought was the highest voltage to reach and or trigger the nerve. The zap was so loud which sounded like a 747 moth being evaporated in one of those bug zapping traps. Not to mention while I lied there my arms were literally flying off the gurney as if I was being jolted by a diffabulator at 600 jolls I didn't quit though. I bit down hard and persevered. I did moaned and groaned but what the hell it had to be done. By the time it was over and after many attempts in certain areas which seemed like eternity,I was covered in sweat. I'm assuming the thinner your arms are the less painful its gonna be and that's not to take away from anyone's experience. Mines, was horrible and the next day my arms, muscles felt extremely sore mainly the nerves. My quarrel with this is they didn't at all inform me the pos of amt of pain one might exp. my wife's an RN and was quite surprised tht they dont at least sedate a pt with a very mild sedated for a proceeder like this. Anyways I'm glad that's over with and in no way will i have that done again. I hope this helps someone in not so much to deter you from having this test done if needed but more to inform you of the pos of the potential pain involved.