Blogus Maximus

Rubbing people the wrong way since 1970...

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login

Microsoft Blogs

My Articles

My Sites

PodCasts

UG

XNA

Sometimes I really enjoy the Linux propaganda machine. They come up with some really clever arguments, although they don't always make much sense when you scratch below the surface. The penguins are kinda cute too.

For example... this post by Aboo S

At first glance it's mildly humorous, but when you stop to think about it, it just becomes silly. His closing point is that this is "Another undocumented bug of undisclosed source code".

Riiiight! Tell me something (and be honest)... How many Linux users do you think have ever looked at the source code of the distro they are using? You guys can stand around and beat your little drums and scream Open Source, Open Source all you want, but do you honestly believe the typical user gives a damn? By typical user I mean the average Joe who just happens to be using Linux, not the uber tech-nerd in the black turtleneck who spends all day sitting in a Starbucks cafe looking smug while he works on his open source project instead of getting a real job.

I've used Linux off and on for years. I've used at least 4 different distros, and every time WITHOUT FAIL the performance was inferior to Windows on the same exact hardware. The UI was less appealing and less intuitive. Every time, within 3 months, I reformatted and put Windows on the machine.

Linux People, listen up and take note... If I can't give it to my Grandmother or my non-tech-nerd Brother, it's not good enough. Believe it or not, most people who own computers have no desire to be computer geeks. They don't want to recompile their kernel and they damn sure don't want to use a command line just to get their mouse working. We had that "feature" in Microsoft land 15 years ago, it was called DOS and we've moved on.

I'm not against open source, by any means, but don't make the mistake of thinking that closed source is evil. So far, almost all of the closed source products I've used will easily kick the ass of most open source projects. You know why? People like to be paid for their efforts. They like being able to put food on the table. Open source is great for academia, but it doesn't pay the bills.

Feel free to flame me all you want, but you know I'm right.

posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:39 AM

Software Design & Development Engineer
SQL Server Engine Team
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, Washington, USA
NVidia Game Developer

# re: silly people 10/21/2005 5:18 PM SimsJS
Ok I can agree with you on a few points, the GUI of close source is more intuitive. I personally use Windows, Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X. They all have their place and uses. Not sure when you last used Linux but I haven't had to use a command line to get a mouse working in quite some time.

Great blog btw.

# re: silly people 10/21/2005 5:38 PM Chris Williams
It's been about a year and a half since I last used Linux, I think. Glad you enjoy the blog, btw. It's a labor of love.

# re: silly people 10/24/2005 6:26 AM SK
Believe it or not, but every one of us (including average Joes) uses Linux everyday. How?

www.google.com

# re: silly people 10/24/2005 6:30 AM Chris Williams
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a pathetic attempt at humor.

I was referring to Linux on the desktop, but I'm pretty sure you knew that already.

# re: silly people 10/24/2005 7:20 AM SK
I'm not so sure that you meant Linux for desktop. Seems like you were talking more about Open Source. But if you were talking just about Linux for Desktop then I am sorry.

Btw, it was not an attempt at humor. To know, why Open Source is important you have to see how companies like Google use it. True, Average Joe doesn't care about what is running on servers, but it matters to the companies that run those servers. And if it matters to them, it also matters to the thousands and thousands of programmers, admins etc.

# re: silly people 10/24/2005 8:04 AM Chris Williams
Ultimately, I was referring to the proponents of open source who claim anything closed source to be bad. Linux enthusiasts are some of the worst offenders in this category.

FWIW, I never said open source was bad, and I honestly don't think it is. It's also not the end all be all solution for the everyman. Primarily because the everyman doesn't care one way or the other. He just wants it to work consistently and as expected, and without a lot of thought on the part of the user. Linux (as an example) isn't there yet.