Windows 7 - Media Center Video Error

Right,

Just a quicky this one - I didn't see anything online about this when I was searching for the solution but - basically - I fired up Media Center and went to watch Live TV, and I got the following error message:

Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and or restart the computer

Uh oh..
This was working last night...
All I'd done was remove myself from the homegroup on the machine...
Hmmmm

Reinstalling video codecs - no joy.
Reinstalling video drivers - no joy.

Bugger.
Quickly test the TV I wanted to record last night did infact record...

"Cannot find file"

eh???

Browse to the files in explorer - there they are.. though I notice I needed to elevate to Administrator to run it...

Hmmm

Close Media Center... restart - but run as administrator...

Recorded TV - ok
Live TV??? -- ok...

Weird..

Print | posted @ Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:01 PM

Comments on this entry:

by Vishal at 5/31/2009 9:42 AM

AWESOME!!!!! I WAS FINDING THIS SOLUTOINON FROM LAST 6 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIGGEST THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooohhhhhhooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Neal at 8/19/2009 10:09 PM

Thank you! I was trying to reinstall driver after driver with no luck! Really appreciate the help!
by michiel at 11/26/2009 2:39 PM

Doesn't work for me. Tried to re-install codecs etc. but of no avail. Movies are running in media player smoothly.

Any more ideas how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,
by GJ at 11/29/2009 1:41 AM

Not sure what you say when "elevate to administrator" I am logged on as administrator like I am the admin man. What do I need to do?
by Chris at 11/29/2009 1:55 AM

Ok, first - GJ - elevate to administrator means run the application in administrator mode. If you have UAC on still even if you are the admin of the machine you will still need to do this. The main way is to hold SHIFT whilst right-clicking on the link and selecting 'Run as Administrator', if it works then modify the shortcut itself to always run like that.

Secondly - Michiel - I really don't know I'm afraid. I kind of stumbled on the solution, but it was definitely to do with permissions for me...

by Joe at 1/5/2010 12:53 AM

I am having the same issue and tried the elevated permissions but MCE on Win7 x64 is still not displaying TV but movies are fine.
by Jon at 2/22/2010 7:42 PM

I am having the same problems as you guys and nothing has worked so far. Now what I did try is to bypass my surround sound processor and it worked fine. Back through the processor and the problems return. This may be a HDCP or EDID problem with Media Center.
by Chris at 4/19/2010 8:45 PM

I finally got mine to work by lowering the resolution within Media Center. I was trying to get it to work at too high a resolution with my integrated chipset. I dropped the resolution to 1024x768 and it actually worked. I have the Intel 82915g/v
by Bradley Nelson at 5/7/2010 10:33 PM

UPDATE!!!! your diver software!!!!! go to your control panel then under Hardware and Sound and click connect to external display under Display click on advance settings and click properties and then under driver tab and click update driver after that it will say restart your computer and should work :) oh and maybe if necessary hold shift and right click on windows media center and select run as Administrator under the drop down menu :)
by Elias at 5/8/2010 2:25 PM

Whem I login into my account (Amdinistrator) everything works fine. When I login in wife's account also an Administrator, I have the same error posted here.
by Chris at 5/8/2010 3:49 PM

Hi Elias,

I need to run it in elevated priveledges - i.e. Right click and select run as administrator, I am an admin of my machine but MC will only run under normall priveledges normally.

Cheers
Chris
by Tee at 7/30/2010 9:08 PM

this is an intermittent fault for me. If I close and restart Media Centre (Windows 7 x64), or even switch channeks and then come back to the originak channel it works.
Does it happen to everyone else here all the time or only sometimes?
by Augusto at 10/27/2010 9:41 PM

I tried updating the driver and it says that the system deteremined that the driver is up to date.
Before that I reinstalled windows 7, ensured that there was more than 64mb of memory available in the video card
by Carl Corvin at 1/4/2011 1:57 AM

All you have to do is lower your resolution setting in Windows Media Center by going to tasks then TV monitor settings. Then the error will go away. WINDOWS 7 // Dell D600 from 2003 // 2.0 GHz only one
by cs at 3/8/2011 9:59 AM

Thank you for you help because i was getting nuts with the pc...
Gravatar # ques; Windows 7 - Media Center Video Error
by priyal at 8/13/2011 9:34 PM

hey i m having same problem of video error ...i have tried using shark codec and also run as administrator but still i m not able to watch tv. i m having happauge tv tuner card 26xx...
by Chris at 8/13/2011 9:52 PM

Hi Priyal, I'm not sure what to say with that I'm afraid. This solution was for the problem I had, it sounds more like you might need to try a different codec
by Carlo at 11/6/2011 6:25 AM

Hello,

Just bumped into this thread, I am experiencing the same issue as the original poster. Here's hoping the thread is not completely dead... The issue is sorted by running MCE as Administrator, but I need to find a better solution as I launch MCE with a remote control. Any suggestion?
by Chris at 11/6/2011 10:55 PM

Hey Carlo,

I use a remote to run my MCE, there are a couple of things you can do / try... 1 is to run with UAC off, that would mean the remote works fine, - this is currently what I have - as it's just an MCE for me, this doesn't cause any concern..

The other would be to have a look at your folders you are saving to and check out the permissions on them - and perhaps change them...?

cheers

Chris
by Matthew Lengenfelder at 12/23/2011 2:34 AM

A lot of the video errors are actually audio problems. The post above about video errors fixed my audio stuttering. I disabled media center's beeps/sounds through media center's settings. I also removed/re-installed the Shark007 Codecs and set it to shark007's recommended settings and problem solved.
by EdG at 3/1/2012 5:18 PM

Running WMC as admin doesn’t work for me. Everything was working fine until I added a new AV receiver. I now have my HTPC connected to my AV receiver via HDMI and have the AV receiver outputting video to my HDTV via HDMI and audio to my surround sound speakers via standard speaker cables. Since then I get the Video Error message every time I try to watch live or recorded TV. I start watching a show, I see video but no audio for about 7 seconds, and then I get the error message: “Video Error. Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media center or restart the computer.” This happens every time on any channel.

Interestingly, this ONLY happens with live or recorded TV when launching the show from within WMC. If I use Win Explorer, go to my Recorded TV directory, and launch a recording from there, it plays fine in WMC. Also, everything else in WMC plays fine – music, videos, non-TV-recorded movies, etc.

Any ideas?
by Wookiee69 at 4/8/2012 3:02 PM

In response to EdG, I had the exact same symptoms, and was frustrated nobody had posted a reply. So I dug around some and found that the error lies not with the video files but with the audio over HDMI. No idea why it worked for a year and then stopped, but the solution was to change how the audio is handled. Instead of sending it over HDMI, I switched it to SPDIF (which my Acer REVO desktop PC has), and I haven't had any issues since. I'm sure I could update the audio codecs to get audio over HDMI, but for now, I get 5.1 surround over SPDIF which I told my Onkyo receiver to assign to the PC HDMI video input, and I'm all set.

Anyway, I figured I should post to at least give you the reason for the error. It would have been so much easier if WMC had just told me it was an audio error instead of a video error. Bottom line is that the audio over HDMI causes it, not the video.

Good luck!

My setup: Acer REVO 3700 Win 7 Premium, Onkyo HT-RC360 7.2 receiver, Olevia 532 1080i TV (oldie but goodie), Apple TV, Sony BDP-S480 Blu-Ray, Yamaha 5.1 speaker system, Apple Airport Extreme router, SiliconDust HD HomeRun dual tuners.
by btqy` at 4/21/2012 11:08 AM

I had the same video error. It was my audio. Does UR WMC have sound when starting or is it missing. I had installed Creative Sound applications. I removed and WMC works. Who'd know.

Good Luck!
by Phil at 9/29/2012 4:06 AM

Just wanted to add that I had this problem after installing new Yamaha Reciever and running sound out of HTPC thru HDMI to receiver. After following advice on this thread, the thing that solved the problem was to STOP running my audio over HDMI and I sent video thru HDMI and audio through Optical cable. Everything works great now, thank you for the help guys!!
by Al at 10/8/2012 4:14 PM

I had same issue and found that my video card settings had changed due to an upgrade. I reset the video resolution and the problem is solved
by Bob Bobson at 12/27/2012 7:54 PM

I had this problem after upgrading my graphics card to an AMD 5450 and the solution after a couple of days of hair pulling was one I hadn't come across before in relation to this problem.

It turned out that the problem was caused by the screen refresh rate, it was set to 60Hz by default and I got the Video Error message but if I changed it to 50Hz then playback of recorded programs or watching live TV worked.
by Bouncy Castle Hire Southampton at 2/12/2013 4:58 AM

Help, I am having the same problem, but I am using a VGA cable, NOT a HDMI cable as most other people are using.
I have my audio going out of the headphones socket into a set of speakers.
by Chris at 2/12/2013 5:05 AM

That is the exact scenario I had when I first had the problem..
by Walt at 3/15/2013 10:29 AM

Thank you so much...seems the simple things are always the best..ur a genius !!!
by Andre at 3/27/2013 3:11 PM

My issue is that I am only getting this message on 3 of my movies in media Browser. The movies are Batman Begins, DNK and 300 DNKR works fine. All my videos other videos, live TV etc still work. I did add an extender recently, but I am not trying to watch the movies from the extender. I do understand that certain movies will not be able to play on the my xbox 360 due to certain codecs, but would this stop certain movies from playing all together? To work and this seem to just happen. Any assistance would be great.
by Chris at 3/27/2013 9:19 PM

Hi Andre,

My original problem stemmed from setting up permissions it could be linked to that, but I have no idea about why certain films would / wouldn't work I'm afraid. It was all or nothing for me.

Sorry!

Chris
by Oleg at 5/7/2013 3:41 PM

Just in case anybody needs more things to try. For me it was media player settings of windows got corrupted. So I had to rename folder /appdata/local/microsoft/windows media/12.0 to 12.bak. After restarting of windwos media plyer it recreated the settings and MEdia Center started to work as well. Hope it helps someone.
by manoj at 6/2/2013 11:51 PM

i have a problem with windows7 media center.in this videos are not playing.it is shows video error.
by Postmoderndesign at 6/25/2013 5:38 AM

Using my Harmony remote I start 7MC-Guide-Any channel. The channel displays with no audio. Before the video error message appears I hit the previous button, maybe three times or more. Once audio starts 7 MC is fine.

I stay in 60 Mhz and hdmi.
by Fernando at 7/21/2013 4:23 AM

Confirmed, Oleg solution works.. Many thanks
by ts at 7/25/2013 5:12 AM

I had the same problem with win7, wmc and panasonic tv

The solution:
- right klick on speaker symbol
- klick on "Wiedergabegeräte" (output device in eglish?)
- in that list I had 2 labels called "panasonic tv"
- I switched it, declared the first one as default
- I deleted the second display

I still wonder but this is working for me
by Colin at 2/9/2014 6:14 PM

Had same problem with Windows 8.1, wmc, sony TV, Dell PC and JBL sound bar. Would get no sound on ABC News24 for 20 secs then the Video error. All other channels worked OK.

The Sound bar gets audio from the HDMI signal which it then feeds to the TV. I updated the Video drivers to latest version. Problem went away!
by Jeffery Okada at 7/24/2014 5:51 AM

This fixed my issue with DRM. Just follow the instructions! Couldn't be more ecstatic...

support.microsoft.com/kb/976590
by JM White at 8/14/2014 7:34 AM

I solved the problem by following "ts"'s instructions. I was seeing 2 HDMI devices. I simply disabled the one that was active, enabled the other one, made it default, tested it (sound was now coming out of my Pioneer AVR).
Gravatar # re: Windows 7 - Media Center Video Error (on Xbox 360)
by Jamel at 9/12/2014 1:24 PM

I can't seem to troubleshoot this issue. It's been working for so long and all of a sudden it stopped.
My issue only seems to be occurring on my Xbox360 and Ceton Echo Digital multimedia receiver. I get that video error stating some files may be missing. I'm able to play both recorder and live live tv on my pc. I'm using an hd homerun for my tuner. Any help anyone can provide would feel like a blessing.
Thanks
by QSmith at 2/28/2017 4:10 AM

Yes, I'm still using MCE!!

I fixed my Video Error by changing the refresh rate from 29 Mhz Interlaced to 60 MHz, this was from a fresh install after my hard drive crashed, how it got to 29I, no idea. The screen showed 1080i instead of 1080p. Thanks all.