The XNA community has been crazy busy again. It always make me fee like such a slacker collecting all of these notes as I see the tremendous output from people all over the world and it’s incredible and humbling. There are some amazingly skilled people working with XNA.
On another not, I’m going to take a minute to get on my soapbox and say, if you are developing ANYTHING and are not using some sort of source/revision control, START IMMEDIATELY. This applies to teams of one. Projects for fun. And “I back up my hard drive” or “I use dropbox!” does NOT count as using source control. You’ll be doing yourself a HUGE favor if you find one, learn to use it and integrate it into your everyday workflow. I personally use Subversion. It’s hosted offsite at xp.dev.com and I use TortoiseSVN as my front end to interface with the repository. It’s simple and easy to use and has saved me from myself so many time. Honestly, get setup with some type of source control immediately. If you don’t understand how, grab another developer that does and have them walk you through setup and the basics of using it.
Ok, I’m done. On to the notes…
The XNA Team
- Only 14 days left to Submit XNA GS 3.1 Games!
- Shawn Hargreaves shares some great information on Exception Handling best practices on the XNA forums
- @CatalinZima gives us a peek at Chicken’s Can’t Fly
- Screen-space deformations in XNA for WP7 from Catalin Zima
- Going to GDC? Don’t miss the XNA panel hosted by a plethora of well known XNA community names!
- MasterBlud does an interview with @Xalterax
- Luke Schneider of Radiangames posts about The Radiangames Style
- Holmade Games had a “vote for the new playable character” poll going on for Hurdle Turtle this past week
- IGF v0.1.0.0 release post mortem
- James an Super Dunner post Good Morning Gato #46 and a look at the Vampire Smile box art
- Alfredo Di Napoli creates Cow Pong using XNA and F#!
Xbox LIVE Indie Games
- Signed In Podcast posts Episode #61
- Gamergeddon posts the January 23rd edition of XBLIG Round Up
- Indie Asylum posts Antipole Review
- 1UPOrPosion Reviews OSR Unhinged
- DarkstarMatryx review Warbirds at Work
- Review of Aban Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes
- XboxHornet reviews Corrupted
- XBLIG 2010: The Best And The Worst
- Xbox LIVE Arcade Sales Analysis - an interesting read for XBLIG developers wondering how they’re doing compared to arcade..
- Best of Indies for January 25th
- Decimation X3 appears as an arcade machine in the wild!
XNA Game Development
- Guiseppe De Francesco (@PinoEire) announced Torque X 4.0 CEV is now in RC phase!
- DrMistry of mstargames shares his struggle (and mistakes) with learning to use the Content Pipeline
- New Tutorial posted XNA 2D Basic Collision Detection with Rotation from Ioannis Panagopoulos
- Sgt. Conker roars to life! Doing a much better (and prettier) job of collecting XNA news from around the interwebs.
- Offering a little free publicity for XBLIGs
- Ben Kane writes about building loot tables from Excel using the Content Pipeline
- Good tips on attracting a game artist AND an offer to create your cover art for FREE
- If you’re an XBLIG developer keeping your eye on places to release on the PC, might want to be watching the IndieCity blog. Seems like these guys are well on their way to constructing something worth watching.
- DVMGames spotted a new crowd-funding site for Indies
- Transmute continues to make progress and there’s a nice dev blog to follow along here