Home Contact

Columbus, OH
Company:
Microsoft

Find me on...

Syndication:

SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

In this post I’ll walk you through the process of sending an email that contains a link to the current item from a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow.  This is a process that has been published on many other forums and blogs, but many that I have seen are more complex than seems necessary.

Problem

A common request from SharePoint users is to get an email which contains a link to review/approve/edit the workflow item.  SharePoint list items contain an automatic property for Url Path, but unfortunately that Url is not properly formatted to retrieve the item if you include it directly on the message body.  I tried a few solutions suggested from other blogs or forums that took a substring of the Url Path property, concatenated the display form view Url, and mixed in some other strings.  While I was able to get this working in some scenarios I still had issues in general.

Solution

My solution involved adding a hyperlink to the message body.  This ended up being far easier than I had expected and fairly intuitive once I found the correct property to use.  Follow these steps to see what I did.

First add a “Send an Email” action to your workflow.  Edit the action to pull up the email configuration dialog.  Click the “Add hyperlink” button seen below.

EmailLink1

When prompted for the address of the link click the fx button to perform a lookup.  Choose Workflow Context from the “data source” dropdown.  Choose Current Item URL from the “field from source” dropdown.  Click OK.

EmailLink2

Your Edit Hyperlink dialog should now look something like this.

EmailLink3

The end result will be a hyperlink added to your email pointing to the current workflow item.  Note: this link points to the non-modal dialog display form (display form similar to what you had in 2007).

EmailLink4

Conclusion

In this post I walked you through the steps to create a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow with an email that contains a link to the current item.  While there are many other options for accomplishing this out on the web I found this to be a more concise process and easy to understand.  Hopefully you found this helpful as well.  Feel free to leave any comments or feedback if you’ve found other ways that were helpful to you.

-Frog Out

Friday, February 18, 2011 1:30 PM

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I was stuck for hours on "CurrentItem" then I found this entry and thanks to you now I know it should be "WorkflowContext" :)

Thanks!
4/29/2011 1:59 AM | Jed Mallen

Jed,
I ran into the same issue at first. Glad to help you out.
4/29/2011 11:29 AM | Brian Jackett

in SP 2010 WF do you know the syntax to add a link that would be
UrL/Forms/EditForm.aspx?ID= Current list - ID
&(Current List ) Source ( http etc)
&( Current List) ContentTypeId

I do not know how to add the &s in using the auto link selection. 5/2/2011 11:06 AM | dave

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

How do you do this in SPD 2007?
There is no option to add a link
is there another way to do this? 5/19/2011 9:35 AM | saud

Saud,
Since there is no action to "add a link" in SPD 2007 you may want to try building the hyperlink () as a dynamic string and insert that into the body of the email. I haven't gotten a chance to try this myself, but let me know if that works for you.
5/23/2011 9:24 AM | Brian T. Jackett

Thanks Heaps, works brilliantly!! 6/30/2011 9:59 PM | Tamms

Thank you for the tip. It saved my day. :-) 8/8/2011 1:31 AM | Srikanth

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Waht if you wanted to add a link in the body to a item on another list, just not the current list? Ideas 8/22/2011 1:47 PM | Poled

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thanx for the tip! The URL is placed as expected ...

One question/issue.... The List Name has a space in it .. "Trouble Ticket"

When the URL is put into the email, the space breaks up the hyperlink of the URL and breaks it ... No %20 is placed in the link name to account for the space...

Any way around this?

Jeff
8/22/2011 2:30 PM | Jeff LHuillier

Poled,

If you want to use another list you will lose the "Current Item URL" context. Instead you will need to build the URL manually / semi-manually. Read through this forum post for help on how to do that.

8/29/2011 10:33 PM | Brian T. Jackett

Jeff,

Did you change the name/URL of your list after creation? I created a sample list with spaces in the name, sent an email with link to that list, and got the proper "%20" to replace the spaces. Clicking the link successfully brought me to the item.
8/29/2011 10:35 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Worked great! Saved me lots of time trying to figure this out on my own.... Thanks!!!! 9/19/2011 12:34 PM | Bob

Nice work ..
Its working perfectely in SP 2010. 9/29/2011 1:59 AM | Neel

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

What if the ID you are trying to retrieve is from the task list? I have a workflow that is attached to a form library. When a form is submitted to the library it kicks off a task item. I want to include a URL to that task item in the email that is sent out in the form library workflow. All the blogs and suggestions I have read is based on the workflow running on the Task List, so the ID lookup is automatically inherited.

Do you know how to get the ID in my situation? I have been hitting my head on the wall about how to get this done. Also, a concern that i have is that even if I get it done, will there be a sychronization issue since I notice the workflow fires of the email immediately even before the task item is created?

Thanks,
9/30/2011 3:07 PM | Arnel

Arnel,

You could create 2 workflows. The first workflow runs on your form list and creates an item in the tasks list. The second workflow could then run on the tasks list when an item is created. The task list workflow would use the emailing functionality described in this post to send out a URL to the task item. This should also take care of the issue with the task item existing before sending an email.
10/4/2011 10:27 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thx a lot. Your post saved me loads ot time.

Works great. 10/5/2011 10:52 AM | Kurt

Thanks dude...Good post!!! 10/7/2011 2:25 PM | Kumar

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

That's ace! Is there anyway of including a 'preview' of the current item in the message body 10/11/2011 10:19 AM | rooey

Rooey,

Depending on the content type you are working with you should be able to include a "preview". In the case of an item on a custom list you can include a lookup to the title field and perform a substring on it for the first X number of characters.
10/11/2011 8:18 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Do you know of any way to make the link use the modal popup version of the form?

I also notice that when you select "Close" at the bottom of the item after following the link, you automatically go to the "All Items" view of the list the item came from. Any idea how to make it go to one of the other created views instead? Is it simply whichever view is set as the default view? 10/13/2011 5:31 PM | Nathan A.

Nathan,

I do not know of a way off the top of my head to send the modal popup version of the link. There may be one but you'd have to do some research. If you find a way please share.

As for the All Items display I assume that is because it is the default.
10/13/2011 7:50 PM | Brian T. Jackett

Hey thanks for the tip.

Now i am stoned. I need to add an image into the email that the workflow is generating and sending as part of the notification process.
I have tried using the Advanced Features of "Send An Email" action to embed the image source in Sharepoint Designer 2010 all to no avail.
Any help as to how I could achieve that? 10/26/2011 12:07 AM | Nonso

Nonso,

I'm not aware of any functionality to send an image in the email. Sorry I can't be of more help.
10/31/2011 11:02 AM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

How do I open the form in a browser on an email approval workflow? The link below requires InfoPath 2010 to review the form before approving. 11/11/2011 11:41 AM | Martin

Martin,

The instructions I posted were tested against a custom list. Did you implement yours on a forms library? Sounds to me like what you are seeing. In order to view forms through the browser you must have SharePoint Enterprise and configure InfoPath Forms Server service running. Also your form must be browser enabled. Let me know if that is not the case.
11/13/2011 9:21 PM | Brian T. Jackett

nice article 11/24/2011 4:14 AM | Vik

You've saved me much time and aggrivation. Thanks!! 12/22/2011 8:04 PM | Paul

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Paul, glad I could help you out and save some frustration.
12/23/2011 11:06 AM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

This worked great, however, the item opens in read only, and is not editable and the edit button is dimmed. how can I turn on the edit icon so the supervisor can approve? thx 1/13/2012 8:48 AM | ruth

Ruth,

The link I used goes to the display form for the list. If the user has appropriate edit permissions to the item then they should be able to click the edit item button. It sounds to me that your user only has view permissions since the edit button it dimmed.
1/18/2012 2:19 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Hi, the current URL will link the internal address, any ideas how can I create a hyperlink that will have the same structure but have the link use our extranet address?

So for example it's currently http://<servername>/sites/department/document library when it I want it to display http://<external access name>/sites/department/document library.

Thanks 2/21/2012 10:09 AM | Fawaz

Fawaz,

Using the above described process I don't believe it is possible to use the external (alternate access mapping) URL. You could create a custom SPD workflow action in Visual Studio, deploy to your farm, and then use that step in SharePoint Designer workflow to grab the external AAM URL. That would require a bit more development and configuration though.
2/25/2012 3:02 PM | Brian T. Jackett

Brian,

Thank you for the reply and I will look into doing that or altering the default address to the http version of the same name. Since our farm is currently rather small I believe this can be done relatively easily but will test on my test farm first! :)

Thanks again. 2/29/2012 4:38 AM | Fawaz

WOOOO HOOOOO! Thanks! It worked perfectly. 3/8/2012 3:42 PM | Henry Joseph

Thank you! I was stuck before finding this. 3/15/2012 10:21 AM | iain

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

This did not work for me because when it created the URL, it prefixed the URL with ntlm ie the website is sp.mywebsite.com and it delivered ntlm.mywebsite.com
Does anyone know how to deliver the correct URL.
Is it a setup issue?? 3/29/2012 10:30 AM | Peter

Peter,

Are you using Alternate Access Mappings (AAMs) in your farm? It sounds like you have multiple zones configured and the default zone (ntlm) is being used instead of an intranet / custom zone. See my comment to Fawaz above. You would either need to change your AAM zones or create a custom solution to pull a specific zone rather than the default. Hope that helps.
3/29/2012 11:03 AM | Brian T. Jackett

Hi Brain,

Thank you for your article, saved me alot of research time and headache. However there is one issue i am seeing using the CurrentItemURL. One of our wf is set to run when an item is created, and instead of linking direcly to the Current item's URL like the string says, it opens the allitems.aspx view. I tried a few instances and the same thing keeps happening. Any ideas/suggestions. Thank you for your help, really appreciate it. - Karan 4/17/2012 2:18 PM | Karan Patel

Karan,

Is your workflow firing before or after the item is created (ItemAdding or ItemAdded)? If before then there is no item (and thus no URL) for it to interact with. If after then you should be able to get URL via that property.
4/19/2012 12:58 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I was looking for this solution for quite some time before I stumbled onto your site. Worked like a charm. Thanks! 4/20/2012 4:48 PM | Greg

Hi,
I was looking for the same and your post is so simple and accurate. Thanks for posting this. This solved my problem. 4/26/2012 5:28 PM | Nagendra

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Another thank you! Would be great if the body of the email could contain more info. A calendar event with the start/end date, etc. But this is great! 4/27/2012 2:50 PM | Tom

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you very much. Your post was very helpful. Is there any way to link them to a page to approve or reject the item? 5/21/2012 10:12 AM | Tim

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you for this. But I have an issue, I wish to open a browser enabled form but the output link for this is open the item using info path. Is it possible to open the item even without info path installed to client machine? 5/25/2012 4:30 AM | Janine

Hi,
how can i add accept and reject link so that user can directly accept / reject from email.
thx 5/29/2012 2:20 AM | irfan

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

THANKS A TON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was spending hours on current item then when i read this only i realized i should use workflow context 5/30/2012 6:39 AM | kashish

Tom,

You can add additional info in the body by building a custom string with the Add or Change Lookup button. Inside that you can use a formula to reference other object properties such as start/end date, etc.

Tim / Irfan,

For accept or reject buttons you would be better suited using an out of the box approval workflow. You can even modify these with SharePoint Designer 2010 if they need tweaking.

Janine,

Not sure I understand you question. Have you replaced your default item forms (.aspx pages) with InfoPath forms? When I tested this I was using the default ASPX pages so I did not see any InfoPath. If you have browser enabled forms though you shouldn't need to have InfoPath on the client.
6/13/2012 10:45 AM | Brian T. Jackett

Thanks man! that worked like a charm!!! 6/14/2012 8:59 AM | derbin

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you for this article, it has helped immensely with my current project.
Slightly related, I have a current stumbling point which I am hoping someone might be able to help with.
In addition to adding the email link to an item, I would also like to add into my text the name of the subsite that the email is being generated from (I have multiple similar subsites, and would like to be able to distinguish within the email text which one is generating the email to help the end user process the information).

Is it possible to add the subsite name?

Thanks,

--Ben-- 6/14/2012 10:46 AM | Ben Talbott

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

To create a hyperlink back to a Form Library and have the InfoPath form open in the browser, you still use the hyperlink button however you will need to copy the URL from a form in the library opened in the browser. You then replace part of the URL with the Encoded Absolute URL. See sample: http:/myserver.com/site/Library/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?xmlLocation=[%CurrentItem:EncodedAbsoluteURL%]&DefaultItemOpen=1 6/14/2012 3:28 PM | Jen

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thanks so much for this, it has been so helpful - I was able to build a workflow email in Designer to take the emai lrecipient to a discussion needing managerial attention. Wondering if you can tell me how to link to a threaded view of a discussion item instead of the original view of the discussion? In that way the manager will see all the replies and not just the original posted discussion. Thanks! 6/14/2012 3:48 PM | Jennifer Boudreaux

Hi
This is working fine in MS Outlook but not in Lotus Notes if the URL is having spaces. Because of the Spaces in the URL, the hyperlink is wrongly formatted without space. Please help. 6/21/2012 2:15 PM | Kiran Kumar Reddy

Be

I don't see the subsite name as a field you can choose. A few options. You could name the list after the subsite (ex. "Subsite A Expense Reports") and then include the list name in email. Also could grab the URL and parse out the site url from that (assuming url and title are similar enough). Other than that don't know what you could bind to.

Jennifer,

I haven't tested this much with discussion lists. The problem is that they don't follow the convention of using IDs in the URL but instead FolderIDs. You want to use the Threaded.aspx page but I'm unsure how to retrieve the folder ID using SharePoint Designer.

Kiran,

I recommend users to build lists, sites, etc. with no spaces in the names. Afterwards rename the title to include spaces. This (usually) helps avoid issues like you are experiencing but also helps developers with the underlying naming they need to use.
6/29/2012 10:54 AM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Hi, can somebode help me find a way to put a link of current item doc library? It is dynamicly created as my workflow is reusable one used all over the site collection with 50+ sites..Thanks! 7/5/2012 4:07 AM | Haze

Haze,

I'm not sure what you are asking for. Can you be more specific?
7/9/2012 10:45 PM | Brian T. Jackett

Realy Thank you , finally it works 7/16/2012 2:29 AM | shahla

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you so much for posting this!! 8/21/2012 12:07 PM | Amy S.

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

When I use the method above it takes me to the dispform instead of the edit. I have created 3 forms in infopath 2010. It uses the form but always comes up in display mode when the user clicks on the hyperlink . . . how do I get it to use the editform instead. Thanks for your help. 8/23/2012 8:28 PM | Dan

Dan,
The method I described above only takes you to the default display form. To get to a different form you would need to use something like a Visual Studio workflow action that is usable in SharePoint designer or manually build the URL string in your SharePoint designer workflow.
8/26/2012 8:57 AM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you! I have been looking for a way to do this off and on for the past Month. 9/24/2012 3:54 PM | Richard Kearnes

Very helpful.

Can i ask you a another sharepoint question?
I am trying to create a reuseable workflow that when you select the "current item" the name column is available? It the name column exists when i create a list workflow but not reuseable workflow. It allows me to select the title field but we don't fill in that field. I need to get the name of the current item essentially. 9/26/2012 7:22 PM | Hanna

Hanna,

When you use a reusable workflow SharePoint Designer is associating it to a content type of sorts, not to the list specifically, so you won't see all of the columns. If you use a list workflow you are associating directly to the list so you have access to all of the columns. If you are not using the Title field for other purposes you could rename the Title column to Name and work with it in a reusable workflow.
10/3/2012 12:26 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I am trying to create a workflow that send an email to "attendees" once a room reservation has been created and has them lissted as attendees. The problem is the [%Current Item:Resources%] returns a "#," along with the resource name. Any Ideas? 10/9/2012 1:56 PM | Dana

Dana,
I have not seen that where the column value returns a # symbol. What type of column is it (person, string, etc.)? Does the column allow multiple items?
10/10/2012 10:16 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I have spend countless hours in both 2007 and 2010 Sharepoint workflow trying to combine a hard coded text url srting with a "current item" workflow value and have the whole string be a hotlink. This, at least for 2010 Sharepoint, has solved my issue. Thanks so much for opening my eyes to a solution that was right in front of my face. 12/3/2012 7:17 PM | Bryan

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Genius! I've been creating long complicated field entries with mixed success. Such a simple and effective solution - thank you very much! 12/7/2012 11:23 AM | anon

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I was looking for a way I used in SP2007 SP designer where you find the URL's ID and paste it into the email body. This created a long link the person can click on to take him to the item. Your solution is a big improvement. Thanks for your post!!!! 12/14/2012 11:48 AM | Tom

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thanks for the tip! I'm a beginner to Sharepoint, so this whole "Workflow Context" just opened a door into another dimension for me. 3/13/2013 4:10 PM | Eric

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Your Solution worked beautifully. Thanks for that.
3/21/2013 7:32 AM | Hassan Rana

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you for excellent solution! It saves me hours of development. 4/9/2013 11:45 AM | Sergey Garkusha

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thanks Brian, your post was a big help and exactly the help I needed. 5/1/2013 2:12 PM | Ken

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

i get a wierd result. in the resultant email, the link repeats itself, with a comma between the urls. like this "myurl.com, myurl.com". has anyone seen this? 5/1/2013 9:43 PM | april drake

Fantastic! Great work Brian. 5/12/2013 11:02 PM | Adrian Selder

Thank god I found you.

Fantastic post ! Thank you 6/18/2013 5:47 AM | Trịnh Tùng Anh

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thank you so much! It makes 2 weeks that I couldn't resolve this damn bug!!! 6/25/2013 4:55 AM | Theodiablo

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I can make a woring link, however, i still can't show properties (names, IDs...) inside the mail. 6/25/2013 5:30 AM | Theodiablo

Great post Brian. Very helpful. 6/26/2013 1:48 AM | Ziauddin Shujauddin

Theodiablo,

Glad you got a working link. To include other properties from the workflow item you may need to link to the list via the ID of the current item. From there you can then select properties from that list to display.
6/28/2013 4:37 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I did exactly what was stated and it just wouldn't work. I messed with it and came up with a different solution.
a. Upload document to document library in SharePoint
b. Click the “Edit HyperLink”
c. Text to Display: Enter Title of document you are creating the link for.
d.Press EDIT to search for the folder where the document is.
e. Double click the Folder and select the document.
f. Address will now be populated with the URL to the document. [OK]
g. The link is now in the email.
h. Check for ERRORS and PUBLISH.
i. Test
7/8/2013 6:38 PM | smyardo

Smyardo,

Glad you were able to get something working, even if not the steps I walked through.
7/14/2013 11:50 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Excellent post...Just what I was looking for and it works like a charm plus simple. You Da Mon! 8/9/2013 12:09 AM | MRodgers

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Great Post - wondering if you knew of a way to either get the name of an attachment that was just uploaded or email a link to it? Thanks in advance for your time. 9/24/2013 7:55 AM | Robin

Robin,

You should be able to do a reference "Current Item" or reference the list you are working with via its ID and then grab any info or columns that you want from there. Let me know if you need more details.
9/29/2013 6:01 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Thanks for this "tutorial". You revealed two really obvious items that I had not seen previously and they solved my problem of getting a link to be a link.
One change I did make is NOT selecting Current Item URL because when I used that to open my newly posted document InfoPath was opened on my local machine to display the document. So instead I entered the URL of the top level of the library in the Address field where the new document was posted. This opened SharePoint right at the library and the new document was only a double-click away.
Thanks again. Your "tutorial" works where several others only almost work.
10/10/2013 2:43 PM | Robert B

Robert,

Glad to be of assistance on this. Yes working with InfoPath forms adds a little extra layer of complexity, especially when trying to figure out in browser vs. client rendering.
10/19/2013 12:10 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Hi, I've got the url working nicely in my workflow generated email however I'm wondering if it's possible to actually send say a pdf document instead of a link in the email?
thanks 11/7/2013 11:20 PM | Ritchie

Ritchie,

Unfortunately no it is not possible to send an attachment using the methods I showed above. I'm not aware of anything by using out of the box or SharePoint Designer workflows.
11/14/2013 9:46 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

PERFECT, thanks so much for your clear and easy to follow directions. This was EXACTLY what I needed!! 12/3/2013 10:15 AM | Kathy Schlauger

Thank you! So glad to get the help on this one! 2/11/2014 7:19 PM | Susan

Genius! thanks so much for posting 3/25/2014 6:36 AM | Susan

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

Can I add something like to let open in an edit mode & not display more 3/28/2014 1:50 AM | Jinane

Jinane,

Please see some of the above comments that discuss sending a link to the Edit form. I am not aware of a way to do this with SharePoint Designer (without hand creating the URL). The other option is using a Visual Studio workflow and using lookups to pull the edit form URL.
3/30/2014 10:13 PM | Brian T. Jackett

# re: SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Item

I was able to add the Workflow Context:Current Item URL, but it still references the Default zone URL, whereas the user is initiating the WF from the Extranet zone, and expects to see the Extranet URL in the workflow notification e-mail. 3/31/2014 1:28 PM | VK

Great Post - thank you! 7/17/2014 12:24 PM | AW

VK,

If you need to have a different URL than the default zone you'll have to build that yourself through custom code or some other means.
8/18/2014 8:49 AM | Brian T. Jackett