After the Altiris-a-rama was complete, I finally got back to this.
Very possibly the workstation was in a 'weird mode' Friday, Monday AND yesterday during my other problems, <start spin> but it doesn't excuse the other things that were going on surrounding Crystal Reports, e.g. the Exception message</start spin>
I worked as if I only had one shot to get it right:
- Got a Diet Dr. Pepper and 2 Extra-Strength Excedrines
- Refreshed from Version Control
- Modified the element I wanted to replace in the xsd, all the way to desired end result
- Deleted the xsx and cs files, then saved the xsd to reproduce them
- Close Project, Exit VS
- Reopen both, open the rpt file, go to the main report, right-click, Database->Set Location and pick the Visual Studio Class then pick the ds name in both boxes and hit the Replace button
- Close Project, exit VS (because the Field Explorer still showed the original)
- Reopened both, went to the subreport, and Field Explorer was now correct. Drag both new fields to the report, take the defaults for now
- In the code behind, modified the query to read from my new table
- Press F5 and pray (at this point, the pray part is more important than the above)
- It works!
- Very carefully modify the rpt visual effects to get the two new fields the way I want them and get the Heck out of the code
I did a complete release rebuild and tested, Saved to Version Control, deployed it to the Intranet, and tested it there to be correct before I took a really deep breath.
What a deal... glad it works... on to more fun things!