Tools

So I just installed Live Writer and am writing this blog with it. Integrating with my blog was painless. I added a Code Snippet plug-in, hoping that it will work well for me. I’ve been using CopySourceAsHtml (CSAH) to great success, but thought it best to try out the plug-ins that are available. There are other code plug-ins, but this was the highest rated. Do you, Dear Reader, have a favorite? Here is a comparison between the CSAH and the plug-in: CSAH: 1 [Specification] 2 public void the_job_end_date_should_be_... ......
My trial ran out a few days ago. And I haven't posted about R# for almost a month. I have to a few more things to share, and perhaps I can save everyone some time. The R# team has done quite a few small things to raise the tool a step above my expectations. There are a lot of things that may seem small, but really turn out to be significant improvements to the way I manage my code. Simple things, like, locating new code (via refactoring) with similar declarations (fields with fields, properties with ......
I've been using ReSharper now for about one and a half weeks. Now that I am writing some new code, I have more to share. The most helpful and time saving feature that I have encountered so far is code generation. In one case, I had added a couple of new properties to one of my entity objects. In actuality, I add the code in my test first. R# quickly recognized that the property didn't exist and gave me the option to create a field or property. I chose the property option and presto, R# found my class ......
Recently I blogged that the Resharper install corrupted TestDriven.Net. I followed up to say that certainly wasn't the case. In fact, there was nothing wrong with TestDriven.Net. The problem was between the keyboard and chair. I kept getting an error about not being able to load one of my base test classes. At compile time everything was fine. I would get the error only when trying to run the test in TestDriven.Net. R# could run the tests with no problem. This led me to believe it was a problem with ......
I've discovered what was causing problems with TestDriven.Net and it isn't ReSharper. I had recently refactored my test fixtures and now I have a few that make use of generics BaseTest<T>. I had run into a problem with TD.Net before regarding generics and had to rearrange my classes (I had two classes in one file) to get it to work. I don't remember the details and I am still having problems getting it to work now. Regardless, R# is off the hook. And as an added bonus, R# doesn't appear to ......
So day two brought more items of interest. Unit Testing still problematic Apparently, ReSharper installs with version 2.2.8 of NUnit. I am using 2.4.8 which includes syntax helpers. A bunch of my tests were failing with multiple TypeLoadExceptions. To resolve the issue, I ran the tests in debug mode and took a look at where the nunit.framework library was being loaded from. I found that it was being loaded from C:\Program Files\JetBrains\ReSharper\v... Once I determined that I was dealing with ......
I encountered a repeatable crash in VS2008 for the first time today. I was working on a C# file in the editor. SP1 added some design time hints on syntax or potential compile time problems. The code I was working on had a few red squiggly lines letting me know that I should correct something. Well, when I tried to edit one particular line, VS would freeze on me then throw a nice "Sorry, I'm crashing" error dialog and then close. VS has crashed on me before, but that has typically been because something ......
I finally installed ReSharper yesterday to try it out. I've been dragging my heals because I didn't want to have to learn a bunch of new commands and pay for that right (I'm cheap, I know). Here are a few things I noticed immediately. Keep in mind that these are first impressions, and they are sure to change over the next couple of weeks. [Update] I turns out that ReSharper is not the culprit here. See this post for more details. TestDriven.Net broken after ReSharper install. Any time I attempt to ......
In Css and Custom Server Controls I talked briefly about a problem with the mark-up for my server controls being injected with &nbsp; after toggling to Design View. It was certainly something I could work around, but it was annoying nevertheless. I just couldn't see anything in my designer code that could cause the issue. Well, I recently reviewed the Visual Web Developer Team Blog about the multiple fixes included with VS 2008 SP1. Under the WebForm /HTML Design View subheader, there is an item ......
For anyone who has read Dreaming in Code and has wondered what happened to the Chandler project, they just released 1.0. This release is 7 years+ in the making. Chandler is basically a personal organizer improving on Outlook, et al. You should check it out. The book is an account of the beginnings of this open source project. Perhaps the best thing I got out of it is learning from the mistakes of others. Otherwise the book is a reflection of how lost the project seemed to be the first few years. ......
Posted On Monday, August 11, 2008 9:30 AM | Comments (0)
Filed Under [ Tools ]