Tomorrow I'm taking the 070-536 exam. This will be my first Microsoft certification exam, and I'm hopeful to pass but I won't be terribly surprised if I do not. From what I've seen around the forums online and other blogs, this exam is not one that is a breeze.
So, here's a look at how I've prepared, and maybe some helpful links for those of you looking to take this exam in the future. After I take the test tomorrow I will review how I could do better, and what might be better advice to those looking to take the exam.
A couple things to note:
- I'm paying for my exam and all materials I use. This makes my exams studying based on minimal cost.
- I'm taking this exam probably sooner than I'd like. I have studied for over half a year, but I'm still not at a point where I can say I'm comfortable or completely knowledgeable about every aspect of the exam.
- I have only been programming in .NET for a bit over a year. Studying for this exam has proven to be a great way to learn powerful intricacies of the framework.
So here's my steps to prepare:
- MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Application Development Foundation read cover to cover. The book is known for errors, but many of the errors to me seemed self evident. Reading this book is great for learning more about the framework itself, and has helpful labs every step of the way. The errata sheets is available here. Even with the overwhelming errors, this book is still a great reference.
- Take the practice tests on the CDs for the book. If you find yourself lacking in a certain section, reread the section or check out the MSDN articles on the subject. Again, take note of the errata.
- After you're comfortable with the book and practice exams, look over the complete exam topic coverage, and compare it to MSDN articles that are relevant.
Finally, helpful posts concerning the exam:
Altogether, I'm excited but worried. The exam won't be easy, and I'm just going to have to think logically and take my time. I really do hope for the best, because this exam is a stepping stone to many MCTS statuses, both for the Framework 2.0 and 3.5.
Any of you guys who've taken this exam want to chime in? Let me know any further links / helpful hints for those coming in the future or if I end up retaking >.<