Tim Huffam

Dotting the I and crossing the T of I.T.

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login
  153 Posts | 0 Stories | 2747 Comments | 653 Trackbacks

Interesting Blogs/Links

This post will explain how to do fading (fade out a layer) in Gimp.

Assuming you have an image open...

1. Add a new layer
  2. Draw the part you want faded
  3. Right click on the layer in the Layers panel/window and select 'Add Layer Mask', then click on Add on the Add Layer Mask dialog (making sure the default value of 'White (full opacity)' is selected).
  4. Select the Blend/Gradient tool and set the Gradient to 'FG to GB(RGB)' .
  5. On the layer click and drag a line where you want the gradient (fade) to start and finish.  The first click is where it will be faded out and the second click is where it will start to fade.
  6. Right click on the layer in the Layers panel/window and select 'Apply Layer Mask'.

That's it.

posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:49 AM

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 5/13/2009 5:14 AM William Bryant
Hey man, this really helped. I had forgotten how to do this and it's a great trick to making an image look good. Thanks!

WilliamBryant.tv

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 8/28/2009 1:04 PM Milind
Thanks for the help.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 12/7/2009 3:21 AM motorolafans
Thanks for telling mate!

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 2/23/2010 12:03 PM Thirdrev
Very helpful; thank you.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 5/5/2010 5:06 AM just another techie
woohoo. great tutorial.. worked like a charm..

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 8/6/2010 3:58 AM Payroll Services
excellent, the tip worked for me. many thanks

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 10/15/2010 12:00 PM Omar
Thanks a lot!!!!! This really helped me. Now my banner looks nice.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 1/25/2011 8:18 AM Social Bookmarking Service
Every new visit i have always a new stuff of information in your blog. Really your blog, is marvelous. Thanks for stuff.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 2/18/2011 10:42 PM Really Petite
i have tried this and it's not working for me....please help! i get stuck on step 5 and 6- nothing happens

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 2/25/2011 3:48 PM Greg Bosen
Make sure your Foreground/Background is White/Black for your fade.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 4/23/2011 4:24 AM AvanOsch
Thanks!
Steps where somewhat different (Gimp for Windows), but got it done within' 30 seconds.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 5/29/2011 1:30 PM gold buyers oklahoma city
I don't remember trying the tips but its something I feel I shouldn't miss it, I'm going to tr i. Using Gimp gradient to fade the images sound interesting.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 7/19/2011 4:25 AM wholesale football jerseys
Select the Blend/Gradient tool and set the Gradient to 'FG to GB(RGB)

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 2/3/2012 11:20 AM Round Rock Utilities
Just changed themes and wanted to do this with the existing header banner. Great tutorial. Thanks! RR

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 4/10/2012 4:47 PM Instagram Android
I recommend these sorts of rubbish. Appreciate it with regards to displaying it all repeatedly.

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 9/30/2012 3:41 PM clips
I tried using Gimp before and it was hard, but this tutorial helped me out quite a bit. Thanks!

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 1/23/2013 7:34 AM giay nam
I am a beginner graphic designer would find this page there are many helpful guides

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 3/8/2013 3:01 PM Hi
Um I have a version of gimp where it wont let me draw a line, just a bucket tool? Please help?

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 4/12/2013 9:44 AM Can't follow directions
I got to step 4 but when I tasted it, it was too salty?

# re: How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool 5/7/2013 1:21 AM may loc nuoc
I now know how to use the blend tool is very useful thanks