Tim Huffam

Dotting the I and crossing the T of I.T.

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login
  153 Posts | 0 Stories | 2747 Comments | 653 Trackbacks

Interesting Blogs/Links

When creating a new document and in Print Layout, Word sometimes places the cursor right at the top of the page - not catering for the top margin.

I'm not sure why - can only presume this is a bug.

The workaround, to make it display the cursor where it should be (below the margin) seems to be to view the Header then hide the header:

1. Select menu item 'View' - 'Header and Footer' (this shows the header)
  2. Do the same thing to hide it (Select menu item 'View' - 'Header and Footer').

That's it - the cursor should now be placed where it should be - so you can start typing text and see it in the correct position on the page.

HTH

Tim

posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:12 AM

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 7/2/2008 8:19 AM Belle Diva
A fix for when cursor appears at the top of the page:

Tools, Options, on the View tab click White spaces between pages to turn it on. The feature some how was turned off which caused the cursor to move to the top of the page. What is wierd is that the status bar still showed the cursor at 1".

Hope this helps fix the problem.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 8/29/2008 9:13 AM Steve
Just came on this by accident. If the cursor is at the top of the page, move the arrow/pointer to the very top of the page. Two little boxes will appear with arrows facing each other and a comment, 'show white space.' Click and the normal margins at the top & bottom come back. Click again and the white margins disappear. Superflous MSWord-ism?

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 9/10/2008 5:15 AM Graham Dolan
Found this answer from Google. Problem solved! Thanks

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 11/18/2008 10:56 PM Ric
Thanks for this. Solved a very irritating bug which can happen by accident with the slip of a mouse finger!

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 4/8/2009 4:23 AM batman
if you go to view then header/footer and click it, then go to view and unclick header/footer, it appears, right?

after that i tried to save that document as my templet in the microsoft folder, and it didn't work.

I then went to the folder, and clicked the "normal" templet and lo and behold, the blue line is now there.

i go to my desktop and click the microsoft word icon, and lo and behold, the blue line is there.

f'ing ay.

thanks guys!

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 10/7/2009 12:32 PM Kasandra
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. This was sooooo annoying to me.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 11/11/2009 2:56 PM D-Lock
You may also choose Options from the Tools menu.

Go to Print and Web layout options

Check White spaces between pages (print view only)

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 1/6/2010 5:43 PM KMF
I tried all these fixes; none worked. First off, there is no header/footer under view; it's under insert in Word 2007. In addition, there is no "view header/footer" under insert, it merely asks if you want to insert or delete one. I tried check and unchecking the "white area between pages" under options, which is now under Word Options and not Tools, and nothing changed. I get the double arrow at the top and bottom of my annoying page, but no options are offered and nothing changes when I click it. Any other suggestions?

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 3/28/2010 11:05 PM phil
I also have MS Word 2007, when you scan over the cursor at the very top of your page and see the two arrows facing each other, just double click and the cursor should return to its regular position, at least mine did.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 4/8/2010 8:44 PM Jenna
thanks so much! this worked perfectly! :)

# I can type but my cursor remains at the beginning of the line 4/14/2010 6:02 AM janoo
my cursor does not move when i type...it just stays at the front of the line...everything seems backwards

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 5/6/2010 10:39 AM JSR
Thanks for this fix to a very annoying problem.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 5/19/2010 9:36 AM SMC
Worked perfectly - thank you!
(Did the Tools, Options... fix)

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at the righ hand side of the page 5/26/2010 12:22 AM Michael Pudman
Hi, I would like to know how to change the cursors position from the right hand side to its original state in Microsoft word 2003.

Everything I type starts from the right and move to the left.

Help me please.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 6/30/2010 1:29 AM Mike KEndall
Thaks so much this was a great help.

Mike.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 7/16/2010 9:23 AM Tomasz
Great tip for annoying problem! Thanks!

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 8/22/2010 2:54 PM Paul Stone
Cusor at the top of the document.

To move the cusor down 1 and 1/2 inch from the top of the page. Do this for word 2007.

1. Open Word 2007
2. Click on the Office Button Uper left Corner
3. Click on Word Options Lower Right of Drop Doqn Nenu
4. Select dispay upper left and Click on it.
5. Under page display Options At The Top
6 Place a Check Mark in the Square to show White Spaces Between Pages

This will move the cusor down below the header

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 8/22/2010 2:59 PM Paul
Cusor at the top of the document.

1. Open Word 2007
2. Click on the Office Button Upper left Corner
3. Click on Word Options Lower Right of Drop Down Menu
4. Select Display upper left and Click on it.
5. Under Page Display Options At The Top
6 Place a Check Mark in the Square to show White Spaces Between Pages

This will move the cusor down below the header

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 10/26/2010 5:38 PM Too Smart
Some people are so stupid, duh how do I move my cursor if I'm on Microdot LSD in MS Word?

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 8/29/2011 1:00 PM Ludo Dehollogne
Word 2010. Bij opening nieuw Word document blijft cursor bovenaan de pagina staan....?

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 10/22/2011 6:16 AM Cam Smith
When I open up MS Word 2010, the cursor is on the right hand side of the page and therefore when I type, it goes from right to left instead of left to right. This is so frustrating as I have a lot of word documents to do on a daily basis. I would really appreciate a fix for this if you can help out. I am running Windows 7 SP1.

# re: Microsoft Word 2007 - cursor placed at top of page - UGH! 2/3/2012 12:47 PM Bruce
Thank YOU Paul! That worked great! I knew that it had to be something simple like that.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 2/25/2012 4:45 PM Laura
Thank you so much for this. It has been driving me crazy for weeks now. I have no idea what I accidentally did to cause this behavior but the Tools, Options, white space thing fixed it for me!!

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 7/1/2012 10:04 AM BTS
YES! thats it! Excellent and thank you . I have been trying to replace the Normal.dot template and have been frustrated with this bug.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 8/20/2012 7:55 PM K. Jansen
Great, found this thread by googling, thank you very much! Was annoying the heck out of me and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Mysterious ways of Office.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 11/28/2012 4:14 PM Courtney
Thank you Steve! I have tried EVERYTHING to get my cursor down about one inch from top of page...placing my arrow right in the very corner helped (white space). My problem was they every time I opening word it would start the cursor at the very tip top left of the page....instead of the usual one inch from top

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 12/3/2012 9:23 AM Jay
Thanks Steve, this happened to me for the first time ever about 15 minutes ago & it was driving me mad!!

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 1/13/2013 5:07 PM sarah
Thank you!! This was driving me nuts!!..it happened when someone sent me a word doc. Fixed it instantly.

Thank you!

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 2/8/2013 7:50 PM George
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advice!!! It works.

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 2/20/2013 8:25 AM bob
thanks heaps for this...it was really annoying me. Little things hey..!?

# re: Microsoft Word - cursor placed at top of page. 4/24/2013 9:00 PM Judy
Oh my stars! this has been driving me crazy! the fix was to choose the show white space option in options or hover your cursor over the very top of your document and when it turns to a double area click. Works like a charm. Thanks so much.