Would you like to use your favourite comparison and merging tool such as KDiff3 or WinMerge in TFS. With little effort you can configure a different diff/merge tool in Team Foundation Server.
In this blog post I'll be covering
- How to change the default compare/merge tool
- List of available compare/merge tools and the list of arguments
Follow the steps below,
- Open Visual Studio 2010 and go to Tools => Options
- Select Source Control => Visual Studio Team Foundation
- Click Configure User Tools
- Lets say if you wanted to configure WinMerge for comparison of class files then use the arguments shown in the screen shot below and click ok.
- Let’s try compare on a class file. Right click on any class file in source explorer and choose compare,
- Voila! The class files are opened for comparison in win merge
Now the question is what all comparison or merging tools can you use,
|TFS default ||diffmerge.exe ||%1 %2 %6 %7 %5 /ignorespace |
|WinDiff ||windiff.exe ||%1 %2 |
|DiffDoc (for Word files)* ||DiffDoc.exe ||/M%1 /S%2 |
|KDiff3 ||kdiff3.exe ||%1 --fname %6 %2 --fname %7 |
* So, if you wanted to compare word files you could use DiffDoc.
You can find the complete list of arguments for compare and merge tools at the blog post here
What comparison and merging tools are you using?