Posts
259
Comments
464
Trackbacks
17
February 2009 Entries
Are You Reading CoDe Magazine? No? You Should Be.

I'll admit I'm NOT the most objective guy on the subject because the editor-in-chief (Rod Paddock) and publisher (Markus Egger) are both friends of mine, not to mention I also write for the magazine, but I can say that that 99% of the software development and .NET content in CoDe Magazine is first rate and absolutely ROCKS! Where is the other 1%? Those are my articles. They're second rate at best and sounds more like disco. :-)

Each issue is full of amazing solid content from well known software development industry leaders, influencers and trend setters such as Rick Strahl, Chris Williams, Julie Lerman, Ken Getz, Brian Noyes, Rocky Lhokta, Ron Talmage, Juval Lowy, Ted Neward, Michele Leroux Bustamante, Neal Ford, and yet somehow they even let me contribute.

What am I getting for this glowing endorsement? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zippo. Nada. Bupkis. The null set. Zero Kelvin. I've been an avid reader and fan of the magazine for years and I can't tell you how much I've learned from the cutting edge and always insightful articles that grace the pages of the magazine each issue. This is just my way of saying "well done" to Rod, Markus, and all the authors who have contributed to CoDe over the years. If you're not a subscriber, I suggest you become one.

Posted On Monday, February 23, 2009 12:11 PM
Smart & Gets Things Done - Book Review

I just finished my weekend read of Joel Spolsky's book on finding and hiring the best software developers, Smart & Gets Things Done. This is a must read for people responsible for bringing in new software developers. Although his approach is slanted toward finding developers for a product-oriented software development shop versus a corporate I.T. development shop, Joel covers a wide variety of topics from delving into the thoughts and motivations of a typical developer to practical suggestions like software developers are more productive when they have their own office. This is an incredibly quick and light read full of suggestions like 1) how to effectively sort through resumes, 2) interview techniques that can help quickly determine if the applicant is right for your organization, 3) making sure you present and sell your organization to the applicant, and the list goes on.

On the flip side, I'm sending my copy to my nephew who is a computer science major at the University of Central Florida and make sure he reads it. I want to be sure he understands how important it is to present himself as one of those "smart & gets things done" types when he starts preparing for and going on job interviews.

The slow economic times we're in with all the layoffs and downsizing has dramatically increased the number of potential applicants available for any software developer openings at your company. It is increasingly important that you and/or your organization are prepared with the advice and mind set needed to select the best of the best for your company. Smart & Gets Things Done provides the insight and practical advice to help you select developers who are smart & gets things done.

If you're a technical recruiter and you haven't read this book yet, I'd suggest you add it to your short-list of books to read soon.

Posted On Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:53 PM
What Programming Language Should We Advise People Learn?

There is an interesting blog post here where the author offers advice on what programming language new software developers should learn/use. I went through all the comments and it's interesting to note just how heavily slanted this post and comments are on technologies such as PHP, Python, Perl, Java, and so on. The Microsoft stack (Visual Studio VB/C#, ASP.NET, & SQL Server) gets mentioned but not nearly as often as the others.

My favorite reply was posted yesterday (2/14/09) and basically said if you want to work in the corporate world learn things like C#, Java, SQL, and so on and if you want to be broke, learn php/ruby/python.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Posted On Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:31 AM | Comments (4)