There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

YES THERE IS!

I'm using a Dell Latitude D620 Laptop (with Windows XP Pro).
I burn a lot of CDs for various reasons.
One error from the CD Writing Wizard I frequently receive (and have not yet found a permanent solution) is the "There is no disc in the drive." / "Insert a writable disc to continue." error -- even when there IS, in fact, a disc in the drive.

Rebooting will SOMETIMES fix the problem, but is not necessary.

To fix this, I'll go to the drive properties of the CD RW drive (right click) and select the "Recording" tab.
Once there, I'll UNCHECK the "Enable CD recording on this drive" checkbox and click "Apply".

A message will appear and I'll click "Yes" to continue.

I'll then go back into the properties and re-check that same checkbox and click "OK".
Then right-click the drive and tell it to "Write these files to CD".

Works every time:

I've gotten very accustomed to doing this and it no longer surprises me when it happens.

posted @ Friday, December 18, 2009 3:20 PM

Comments on this entry:

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by Paul at 2/23/2010 7:03 PM
You are the MAN. I have been pulling my hair out forever trying to figure out why my laptop wouldn't recognize the disc in the drive. This worked!!

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by laptops pcs at 5/11/2010 3:58 AM
I have received this kind of error recently and unable to fix my problem. After reading your post now it is clear for me to rectify that. Very useful and informative. Thanks for sharing.

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by unlimited broadband at 5/22/2010 2:40 AM
I also came across with the same type of problem but the method you resolve it looks different. It's interesting too. Let me try it out if I encounter the above problem.

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by khol at 3/16/2012 3:30 PM
Wicked! works everytime just like you said, thanks. (and no thanks to you Microsoft)

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by Mohan at 2/21/2013 12:08 PM
This is an absolutley brilliant and informative post.
Thank you for sharing this. I too was struggling to work this one out.

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by Ken at 9/12/2014 7:53 PM
Read all comments/statements above from others. I am pulling out what hair I have left. I've been trying to fix "No Disk in drive d" and the other message I get is "Can't burn to drive because the drive is use." What a major headache. I've tried "everything" and still keep getting the messages. I have Toshiba Laptop, Windows 8.1 HELP!

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by Dr. Phil at 11/21/2017 1:30 PM

Tho a gallant attempt to make windows work---
this does not always work, The problem is bill gates and this whole mentality of
"Science Project" as a life style.

if something does not work with reliable on and off switches, it should be deemed what it is-TOXIC.

somebody needs to make a complete over ride system of windows, that our children will not lose years of their life leaning time on,
so we can get our society back.

# re: There is no disc in the drive. (fixed)

Left by Roon at 3/27/2018 10:12 AM