So this week, I had a good time setting up a medium farm for a SharePoint 2007 project that I am working on. This is the first time I have had to experiene this as well as working with trying to install the B2TR version of SharePoint on the servers.
One thing that I noticed very early is that setting up and configuring the servers are not very difficult to do. In fact if you want a good basis to follow along check out Bill English's post on it here.
Anyhow, the main reason for this post is the problem I encountered that seems strange to me but might not be to everyone else out there in the trenches.
The problem that occured is that the farm I was setting up was for disaster recovery and the database was brought over from the main site for us to hook in to. The problem occured when we tried to attach the new farm to the restored databases from the other site. No matter what I tried, I would consistantly get a error when trying to connect them.
Cannot update database on SQL Server instance 'XXXXXX'. Database is read/only. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
Failed to update database "WSS_Content_Portal" because the database is read-only.
So, in following up, the Database Administrator had to switch the databases to read-only because of the log shipping that we were doing from the main site. NOW I KNOW. :)
I guess the next time I set up the farm I will have a better grasp as to when to hook up the content databases and will hopefully not spend a lot of time on something that seems so simple.