Geeks With Blogs
MSMQ from the plumber's mate MSMQ is part of your business' IT plumbing which makes you the plumber and I'm your mate.

That was certainly hard work.

  1. Find a solution. After browsing the Internet forums a lot, I decided on the free trial version of Jeyo Extender for Outlook (normally costs $20).
  2. Install the Outlook add-on and try to connect to the phone. No joy – although this may be because I didn’t accept a firewall change during setup. I tried adding a port exception for 9035 but that didn’t seem to help.
  3. Reinstall/reboot/hack the registry – all to no avail
  4. Install the Jeyo product on another machine – success! The PST file that the extender creates started to fill up with the  2,000+ text messages from the phone.
  5. Bang – Outlook crashes. The Jeyo add-on displays a really unhelpful diagnostics page which includes a stack trace. Error was “invalid file name”.
  6. Download Process Monitor (from Microsoft/SysInternals)and capture a trace during Outlook’s crash. Noticed a reference to D:\PROGRA~1\Jeyo\JME_WM\log\20110126.txt after some “Access Denied” errors on the log directory.
  7. Manually create log directory along with a Notepad file called 20110126.txt and the add-in stopped crashing Outlook! The Extender didn’t have access to create the log directory to report an error it had encountered and so bombed out. Pretty appalling error trapping.
  8. Now I have a PST file containing all the texts and can go to bed, job finally done. All those years in tech support at Microsoft didn’t go to waste!
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:15 AM | Back to top

Comments on this post: Getting SMS texts off a Windows Mobile phone

No comments posted yet.
Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)

Copyright © John Breakwell | Powered by: | Join free