posts - 293 , comments - 436 , trackbacks - 0

Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

When I heard this I thought I just had to pass it on...

We had a new client a few months ago that had bought a brand new Dell laptop. He paid top dollar for it but after using it for a day it kept randomly going into standby mode by itself. Initially Dell blamed our software and said it was causing the problem... well it turns out...

They did all sorts up updating the bios etc and then all of a sudden the machine stopped going into standby mode by itself. Everything worked fine for two months, then all of a sudden last week it started to go into standby mode again randomly... after the client phoned Dell and had numerous people try and check the machine and run tests on it and tell him it was a third party software issue and that everything was fine with the machine... he was insistent and eventually got put through to someone in their support department who immediately asked him if he wears a magnetic wrist band - turns out he does.

So what was happening was that dell has a magnetic sensor that detects when the laptop case is closed which puts it into standby mode automatically - it is situated on the left hand side of the laptop out of the way - but since the client is left handed as he would type the magnetic wrist band would pass over this sensor magically putting the laptop into standby mode - of course whenever anyone else used the laptop it worked fine - so when they ran stress tests for two days they got no faults - it just so happened that he had removed the wrist band for the last two months, but last week had put it back on...

hows that!

Print | posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:52 AM |

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Thankyou for this info thanks to you i have got my dell laptop to stop going into standby mode , turns out that a am infact left handed and was wereing a magnetic wristband and my left wrist and as soon as i took it of my laptop was perfect Thankyou so much :)
3/28/2011 9:42 PM | Dom

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Glad someone else found it useful!
3/28/2011 10:19 PM | MarkPearl

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Is there a way to fix other than not wearing the magnetic bracelet?
5/13/2011 11:31 PM | Patti

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Not that I am aware of - unless you can disable the standby mode altogether... I am sure this would be possible somewhere in your windows setup mode - but you should probably contact DELL tech support and explain to them the problem and then they could assist you with the specific machine.
5/20/2011 2:07 AM | MarkPearl

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Great spot.Had a collegue experiencing this and was driving her mad.
To stop this you can change setting in power options.
"When I close the lid on my portable computer" change to nothing
10/3/2011 12:57 PM | JoeO'

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Thanks for this info (I was doing a search because my dell was doing the same thing). I removed my magnetic bracelet so let's see if that solves the problem. Thanks again.
3/2/2012 2:49 AM | Jan

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

OMG - this just explained my random situation! I have a wallet in my left front pocket with a magnetic clip! That's the culprit!
11/14/2013 4:05 AM | Gyro

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Thanks this is saving me a lot of search time... Same problem here
7/31/2014 11:47 AM | Holland

**** my life...
Words can not express my gratitude towards you. All this time I was thinking that I have magic hands that break every computer they touch. I was sure that it was absolutely my fault and that I did something wrong with my completely new pc. And it turns out it's just a wrist band. I never in my life felt so enlightened and relieved at the same time.
I rarely write comments but this time I just had to. I don't care that this was posted in November 2010.
9/22/2014 4:12 AM | Akina

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

im having same problem where the laptop suddenly turn to sleep mode while on working.it will turn sleep mode when i start typing in microsoft word.i need to press start button to get back to my work.it not restarted the program but it Sleep.what i do is, i change setting on the power option to default setting and its work for me.
2/24/2015 12:44 PM | danis

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

Bloody hell!!! I would have never figured that one out!!!!!

Good job! For a second there I though my over priced e7240 was a dud!!
3/26/2015 8:46 AM | VNC

# re: Dell Laptop magically going into standby mode

I just stumbled upon this article and it saved me. I was on my nerve when this was happening and was about to call Dell (lazy useless) support.
This was a life saver.

BTW I Was wearing the band in my right hand and still it was doing the same thing !!!!!!!

OMG !!!! thanks a ton !! this was life saver !
4/24/2015 7:11 AM | vix