Geeks With Blogs
Molnar Tibor blog

We installed first time in a stressy condition the SP1 for a production server (a simple farm installation). There was an error during running a custom workflow (developed in Visual Studio 2005) attached to a custom list; we googled out that it was a MOSS bug solved by SP1, which was not installed yet. The plan was to install SP1 and restore a backup from previous midnight for the content database in order to regain the status of a workflow which crashed due to the MOSS bug mentioned above.

What we did:

  • install SP1
  • test that the installation was succesfull
  • restore the content database

Errors we made:

  • we didn't use a test environment to test
  • we read only superficially the installation guide

The result: Server error http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=96177 when trying to access one of the sites. After reading (with care :-)) the article 'Deploy software updates for Windows SharePoint Services3.0' (http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/91649a7e-6b5a-4e5a-9ee5-51951f4b857f1033.mspx?mfr=true) we figured out that the problem was that the restored database was created before applying the service pack and there was a version mismatch between the restored database and the installed web services extensions installed with SP1 (information held in the registry). Shame :-)).

Solution: use stsadm to detach the restored database and attach to it again. This triggered an upgarde process which solved our problem.

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:44 PM SharePoint 2007 | Back to top


Comments on this post: MOSS 2007 Service Pack 1 installation adventure

No comments posted yet.
Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)


Copyright © Molnar Tibor | Powered by: GeeksWithBlogs.net