Geeks With Blogs

About Me:
I am a Female SharePoint Developer (a platinum unicorn). I have been working with SharePoint since I attended the Portal University in 2005. I hold a BA in Computer Science from the University of Missouri - Kansas City. I love playing Rockband, organizing user group meetings, working with code, attending events as a speaker or organizer, and having bizarre conversations about geek things with cool people. If you have any comments or questions fill out the contact form and I will try my best to help.

The Guide of a MOSSLover Becky Isserman's Blog

So I did it.  I moved, I ran a SharePoint Saturday, and I attended a wedding.  I can’t say everything went smoothly in the process, but I will say it all worked out for the best.  I started out my stressful adventure a couple months ago with packing and changing everything over to the new address.  Here is my account as best as I can describe it to you guys…

I woke up on Friday, December 11th at about 6 am after sleeping on the floor with my boyfriend.  The mover’s came at about 7 am to pack the pod.  The night before I moved all the boxes to the living room, so that the mover’s could get everything packed up.  I also packed all the extra items into our cars.  When the movers came one box ended up dropping, but the contents as I found out were not destroyed.  One box cracked from stress and we taped it together.  In the end we had to shift some items in our vehicles and we lost the 4 chairs that Leah, Jason, and I sanded down and re-painted.  It was really sad, but I at least got to keep the table.  After this whole ordeal Johnny and I took a nap on the floor, which was horrible and then Brian Laird came to pick me up.  It was time to see Jeff Julian and a few other guys for a going away lunch.  We had lunch and Brian and I went to run a ton of errands, such as creating the welcome letter for the event and the online surveys.  We ended up at the hotel around 6 or 7 and I saw Lee Brandt.  We unpacked everything from Brian’s vehicle and the speaker dinner started for SharePoint Saturday.  It was a really great dinner, but I really cannot remember half of it.  I was exhausted.  A little later we ended up hitting Kinko’s, Brian, Karthik, and I to print out a ton of material for the event.  That night we stuffed all the folders as best we could (250 or so folders).  They looked awesome, unfortunately we all got to bed around midnight.  I left Johnny sleep late.

Saturday, December 12th started with Susan and Gary Lennon giving me a ride to the event.  This day was a blur, but from what I can remember a couple crazy things happened.  KnowledgeLake was police escorted to the wherehouse at the community college, so that they could find all there banners and such for there booth.  A few sponsors showed up late, but everyone in the end got there stamps.  From what I can understand everyone was happy with the venue.  Next time the electronic stuff might work better if a kiosk was available.  The wireless access guy was downstairs instead of upstairs so a few people got lost.  All in all we ended the day at Talk of the Town having dinner together.  At night we all played dreidel in Joy Earles room which was a ton of fun.

Sunday, December 13th was my last day in Kansas City for a while.  We started our adventure at Jerusalem Cafe with Johnny, Eric Harlan, Joy Earles, and Cathy Dew.  We got the Flaming Cheese and I got to eat the Vegetarian Platter for the last time.  Then we went over to the Boulevard Brewery for a tour.  I brought Cathy to the airport afterwards and headed to St. Louis.  I saw my friend Jaimie that night.

Monday, December 14th was great, because I got to eat a Simon Kohn’s and Meskeram.  It was the perfect send off for St. Louis.  I bought a ton of beer at Schlafly for the guys in Jersey and some for Leah and Jason.  We had our last night of drinking before I headed to the east coast.

Tuesday, December 15th was a day of driving.  We got into Columbus around 6 or 7.  I vaguely remember this day.  It was pretty uneventful.

Wednesday, December 16th was pretty stressful.  I got into Columbus, MD around 2 pm or so.  I stopped at a McDonald’s by my aunt’s house.  I decided it would be a good idea to call the apartment complex.  They had no idea we were coming.  This is when the pain started to set in.  After hours of talking to these guys Johnny worked it out so we got a 2 bedroom.  We did not get the 2 bedroom that we wanted, so we had to change a few things the next day was going to be hectic.  We had to get up at 4 am.

Thursday, December 17th was a quick drive and we were at the apartment complex.  I had to wait with Gambit in the car for a few hours.  It was cold outside so I tried to keep the car heated as much as I could.  When the lady showed up she said I needed a money order.  My bank was not located in this area. The closest branch was somewhere in the midwest.  I had to frantically drive around trying to get money.  Finally after moving some money from one place to another and getting money out of this and that account I had the money order.  We were able to pick up the keys and tour the apartment.  After a few hours of waiting for the Pod to show up and the clock hitting almost noon I called up the company.  There was a problem with the machinery, so they could not come until 1:30.  Luckily I was able to catch the guys I work with who helped me out.  When they arrived around 1:20 the ABF pod guy arrived after I chased the truck (literally ran after it).  Everything was unpacked and then we went out to buy all the things we needed.

In the coming days insurance was changed, licenses were bought, and furniture was purchased.  In a few weeks we might actually get settled in.

Friday, December 18th was hectic, because we were balancing the drive to Philly and getting stuff done.  Luckily, we got to Philly, but it took us 3 hours because of pending snow and traffic.  I saw some of my cousins and ate some awesome food.  We got home and decided to stay in Saturday due to snow.

Saturday, December 19th was a ton of unpacking and staying inside.  Unfortunately, we had no food and it was pretty bad outside.  We got a lot unpacked and assembled.  It was the first day it was beginning to feel like a real place to live.

Sunday, December 19th was the day of my cousin’s wedding. We made it to the hotel in record time.  Pictures were taken and the festivities were had.  I was confused with half of what went on because this was my very first Jewish wedding I can remember.  It was cool to see all the little rituals.  I don’t really know the guy all that well but I think my cousin will be happy.  That night I brought my dad back with me to my apartment so that he could help us lift the tv.  The tv was a little crooked but things ended up ok overall.  I went back to Philly and got to hang out with my grandmother for a little bit.

Of all the days in that 2 week period I think it felt rushed and I couldn’t enjoy it as much as I should have enjoyed it.  I loved all the stuff, but I would have loved to space it out a little more.  I think next time (if I ever do it again) when I run a SharePoint Saturday I need to space it out away from any major events.  I’m glad everything turned out ok, but I was insane to do all that stuff in the same 2 week period.  I think I’m still recovering from all the events.  I probably won’t fully recover for another 2 months.

Technorati Tags: ,
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:54 AM MOSS , Personal , Life, The Universe, and Everything | Back to top

Comments on this post: Three Weeks…

No comments posted yet.
Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)

Copyright © MOSSLover | Powered by: