Friday, January 26, 2018 #

Having trouble using GitHub with BI projects

I had existing solution built.  I've attached a screenshot of local repository folder structure.

So to get started in GitHub, I created a company repository called "DataServices", and uploaded the entire code structure through the code >> Upload files functionality.

I was happy to see that my SQL project was showing connection.  However, whenever I make a change, it would show the red checkmark for checkout while the file is being edited.  As soon as I save the file, that red checkmark would go away and be replaced by a blue lock sign, even though the change has not been committed or sync to the master branch.  There is no option on any of these files to right-click and commit.  When I go to Team Explorer and click on "Changes", it does not detect any changes.  I can disconnect and reconnect to the repository, it is still the same thing.  However, after I close visual studio and reload, it would show the changes (see screenshot)

In my SSIS project, it's even worse.  It looks like on the solution file was connected to GitHub, and nothing else.  See the second screenshot.

Just to make sure, I created a blank solution and selected "Add to repository" through visual studio, and created code into a brand new respository, then added some packages and check in the code.   The result is the same.

So at this time, I can't check in the code without having to use the website and "upload files".  Our team cannot sync up as we don't know who has what checked out.

Need some expert to tell us what's wrong, what to try, and how to save this.

Posted On Friday, January 26, 2018 9:34 AM | Comments (1)

Thursday, June 29, 2017 #

SQL Azure as part of availability group, but not really doing any real work

Wouldn't it be nice to have SQL Azure as part of high availability group, but not really doing any real work?  I'm looking for a set up of Active/ReadOnly/DR-Azure.  So far I have no luck finding information on how to implement this.

UPDATE:  SQL 2017 allows SQL on Linux to be part of HA group without having to use clustering service!

Posted On Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:38 AM | Comments (0)

SSMS 17.1 missing features

Just noticed that SSMS 17.1 (current version) does not support drag and drop of a SQL file.  Reverted back to SSMS 17 RC3 and that feature is back.  Going to check on other features.

Posted On Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:30 AM | Comments (0)

Friday, May 26, 2017 #

SSIS project foreach loop editor does not show configuration for ADO or ADO.NET enumerator

UPDATE on 2017-05-31:

It seems to be a bug with version 17.1 (build 14.0.61705.170).  I uninstalled that version (including some prerequisite and other components from program list), did a repair on Visual Studio 2015, then installed build 14.0.61021.0.  I was able to see the ADO components working again (but lost the ability to deploy to SQL 2017, as expected).   I will report this to the SSDT team.


I set up Visual Studio 2017, but the SSDT for SQL 2016 did not integrate so I am in Visual Studio 2015 Shell.  I just created a Foreach Loop Container, and tried to get to the configuration screen and only see blanks (see below, both ADO ones do not work, but the file one works).  Anybody else see the same issue?

Posted On Friday, May 26, 2017 2:39 PM | Comments (3)

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 #

BI User Group meeting 2014-11-18, PASS Highlights, SSRS Admin using Powershell

The speakers are Clayton Groom, Maria Stanley, Phil Milner.

Highlights about PASS:  I don’t think I’m interested in Karaoke, but having a chat with Chris Webb would be cool.

Tabular versus Multi-Dimensional:  One comment is that if the business is constantly changing requirement, it’s quicker to respond with a tabular model than MD.  I’m not sure about that, from what I can see with building a tabular model, there is not much difference in setting up data source, view, relationships.  I think it might be quicker because there is less tabular can do (like many-to-many relationships).

Using PowerShell to administer SSRS.  Look for resources on “the scripting guys”, and search for PowerShell scripts.  The talk is great, good job Phil.  Now I’m really thinking about creating a presentation on PowerShell scripts for SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, etc.

Posted On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:39 PM | Comments (0)

Copyright © Kevin Shyr

Design by Bartosz Brzezinski

Design by Phil Haack Based On A Design By Bartosz Brzezinski