Remove Folders from Library in Windows Media Center

It seems there is a known bug in certain versions of Windows Media Center (ie, Vista Home Premium, Windows 7 Beta) in which even when you remove a folder from a music/picture library in Media Center, items from those folders are not actually removed.  I searched around and didn't see much help, until finally I found this solution from a guy who works at Microsoft:

I had no problem with doing that as I just wanted to reset the library completely and do a re-index.

The instructions are:

Exit Windows Media Player.

For Windows XP:
Click Start, click Run, type %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.
For Windows Vista:
Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.

Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
Note You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

Restart Windows Media Player.
Note Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

After deleting all the files, Media Center’s library was completely reset. I readded the folders I wanted and everything has worked fine since.

Hopefully this post will make this solution more visible to other people who might run into the same problem.

Print | posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:31 PM

Left by Andres at 1/13/2009 11:20 PM
Gravatar May the lord bless you.
You just solved a 45 min struggle in Windows 7.
Cheers

Left by cyqaey at 1/29/2009 10:45 PM
Gravatar it works. i have reiindexed the WMC library. Thanks a lot. Before this, it was soooooo annoying.

Left by Tom of Sussex at 2/12/2009 1:26 PM
Gravatar Oh yes.... it works ok, so easy when you know how. Thank you.
Why have Microsoft not done an upgrade.

Left by zaViRus at 2/27/2009 3:55 PM
Gravatar THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Left by OSA at 3/2/2009 4:54 PM
Gravatar Very helpful - thanks a lot!

Left by Wolfgang at 4/15/2009 3:49 AM
Gravatar It works only partially on my laptop. it causes a rebuild for media player libs, but libs in media center a still the old mess....

Left by Jim at 5/24/2009 6:45 PM
Gravatar AMEN! Thanks!

Left by Geoff at 9/21/2009 5:49 AM
Gravatar Thanks! Worked great for me

Left by fuck micorosoft at 9/22/2009 3:53 AM
Gravatar microsoft wants us to figure out all the bug fixes cos they're a bunch of cocks

Left by Francis Ciurczak at 9/23/2009 9:38 AM
Gravatar I inadvertently have added a whole external hard drive to the media center library. How can I remove this from the Library without deleting it from the computer? Any and all help would be appreciated.
Francis Ciurczak
FCiurczak @ Aol.Com

Left by Glenn at 12/24/2009 10:02 AM
Gravatar I have been trying to update WMC library for an hour. This seems to be what I need to do. How do you do this with Windows 7?

Left by Glenn at 12/24/2009 10:43 AM
Gravatar I deleted the files as directed. WMP recreated its database, but WMC did not. WMC must have a different database that I have to delete.

Left by Mark at 12/31/2009 12:55 PM
Gravatar I have tried the same thing. I delete all the files in ...\Media Player and when I open Media Center all the Folders are still there. I uncheck all the folders to unwatch, go back in and they are all checked again. This info must be stored somewhere else. Any help?

Left by Eric at 1/21/2011 3:08 PM
Gravatar It cleared the files but (my) Media Center will not rebuild them. If I go to WMC to rebuilt it myself it tell me something is missing and to "restart" WMC .... which doesn't solve anything. To at least keep what I had I went to recycle Bin and restored the deleted stuff back to WMC

Left by BubbaD at 6/9/2011 6:18 PM
Gravatar THANK YOU!!!!

Left by gg13 at 6/26/2011 1:58 PM
Gravatar Just asking, where in the world is "Run" in the START menu?! Please help me!

Left by KMQ7 at 8/12/2011 4:02 PM
Gravatar You are doing the Lord's work. Bless you.

-KMQ7

"Jesus is coming, look busy!"

Left by Basil at 4/10/2013 4:13 AM
Gravatar fantastic fixit - thanks!

Left by kEAZHAR at 7/4/2013 7:40 PM