Here is the new Windows 10 Nav Pane App Template for Visual Studio 2015.
A navigation pane (or just "nav" pane) is a pattern that allows for many top-level navigation items while conserving screen real estate. The nav pane is widely used for mobile apps, but also works well on larger screens. When used as an overlay, the pane remains collapsed and out-of-the way until the user presses the button, which is handy for smaller screens. When used in its docked mode, the pane remains open, which allows greater utility if there's enough screen real estate.
Almost all Microsoft first party apps in Windows 10 follow this ‘Nav Pane’ design. For example, the Windows Calculator app, the News app, etc.
After installing the project template, you will discover the following new “Nav Pane App” option in the New Project Dialog.
The project compiles and runs like this:
From Microsoft, Oracle, to IBM, Amazon, from SQL to NoSQL, here is a complete list of major data platform conferences from August to October:
ASP.NET 5 has a number of architectural changes that make the core web framework much leaner and more modular. ASP.NET 5 is no longer based on System.Web.dll, but is instead based on a set of granular and well factored NuGet packages allowing you to optimize your app to have just what you need. This leaner architecture brings lots of benefits to your ASP.NET projects, but it causes a small problem: Before you can use certain classes/APIs, you have to find out which NuGet package might contain the type, and import the package into your project. For example, in this Stackoverflow thread, the developer ppumkin had trouble to use the IPAddress class in ASP.NET 5 for lack of the NuGet package.
Fortunately, the ASP.NET team created a ‘unofficial’ tool to save the trouble:
The tool is called ‘Reverse Package Search”
Just type in the class/API, e.g. IPAddress and you’ll get a list of NuGet packages that are good hints for you to import. According to Eilon in the StackOverflow thread, this tool is not 100% reliable, but it’s better than guessing.
Here comes the a huge list of Azure tools, following the Web Development Tool list and the Windows Development Tool list.
Management & Monitoring Tools
- Azure CLI (by Microsoft) - provides a set of open source, cross-platform commands for working with the Azure Platform. The Azure CLI provides much of the same functionality found in the Azure Management Portal, such as the ability to manage websites, virtual machines, mobile services, SQL Database and other services provided by the Azure platform.
- Azure Management (by Microsoft) - the current version of Microsoft Azure management portal.
- Azure Portal (by Microsoft) – the next version of Microsoft Azure management portal.
- Azure Management Studio (by cerebrata) – one tool to manage your Microsoft Azure cloud storage, diagnostics data and application workflows
- Azure Management PowerShell Cmdlets (by cerebrata) – cmdlets that streamline your Microsoft Azure workflow with PowerShell
- Azure PowerShell (by Microsoft) - Azure PowerShell is a module that provides cmdlets to manage Azure through Windows PowerShell. You can use the cmdlets to create, test, deploy, and manage solutions and services delivered through the Azure platform.
- Azure Script Center
- Bitnami Cloud Tools for Microsoft Azure - Bitnami Cloud Tools will help you manage and monitor your Azure cloud deployments.
- New Relic for Azure - New Relic is now integrated into Microsoft Azure, giving you instant visibility into web and mobile apps, and see insights.
[Read more on http://scottge.net/2015/08/03/a-complete-list-of-microsoft-azure-tools/ ]
Windows 10 has 4 basic editions: Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education (new to the Windows family). Here is a table that shows their differences in feature: http://scottge.net/2015/07/28/differences-between-windows-10-home-pro-enterprise-and-education-editions/
- Windows 10 Home – it is for home users
- Windows 10 Pro – it is for small business users. Built upon Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro has extra features like domain join, bitlocker, and business store.
- Windows 10 Enterprise – it is for medium and large organizations. Built upon Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise has extra features like DirectAccess, and AppLocker.
- Windows 10 Education – it is for schools (staff, administrators, teachers, and students). It has almost everything that Windows 10 Enterprise has.
Click here to read more
Visual Studio 2015
Here is a list of new features in Visual Studio 2015.
Visual Studio 2013 Update 5
This update is the latest in a cumulative series of technology improvements and bug fixes for Visual Studio 2013. Periodic updates enable us to enhance and expand both Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server more frequently to support the latest software development innovations for building and managing modern apps.
Here is a list of new enhancements in Visual Studio 2013 Update 5.
.NET Framework and SDKs
.NET Framework 4.6
With the .NET Framework 4.6, you’ll enjoy better performance with the new 64-bit “RyuJIT” JIT and high DPI support for WPF and Windows Forms. ASP.NET provides HTTP/2 support when running on Windows 10 and has more async task-returning APIs. There are also major updates in Visual Studio 2015 for .NET developers, many of which are built on top of the new Roslyn compiler framework. The .NET languages — C# 6, F# 4, VB 14 — have been updated, too. [Read More…]
What is new in ASP.NET 4.6? ASP.NET 4.6 includes the following new versions of the framework:
- ASP.NET Web Forms 4.6
- ASP.NET MVC 5.2.3
- ASP.NET Web Pages 3.2.3
- ASP.NET Web API 5.2.3
- ASP.NET SingalR 2.1.2
ASP.NET 5 Beta
ASP.NET 5 is a lean and composable .NET stack for building modern web applications for both cloud and on-premises servers. This re-write of ASP.NET was started in order to provide an improved, modern web framework that could be run cross-platform and updated as quickly as the web changes.
Visual Studio 2015 includes the ASP.NET 5 beta5 runtime packages. These packages are still in preview and are not recommended for use in production. You can find all the details on the specific enhancements added and issues fixed in the published release notes on GitHub.
The ASP.NET 5 team has published a roadmap to their public release on GitHub. Be sure to check that out if you are interested in when you can publish an application to production.
Azure SDK 2.7 for .NET
Download for Visual Studio 2015 | Visual Studio 2013
C# 6.0 and VB 14
C# 6 and VB 14 add a lot of small but useful language features to remove boilerplate and clean up your code. This GitHub page lists the new language features in C# 6 and VB 14. The following video takes you on a whirlwind tour through all the new language constructs.
New with Visual Studio 2015 is the TypeScript 1.5 release. This release represents a large jump in ECMAScript 6 compatibility and in features that allow you to work better with popular libraries like Angular.
Get a sampling of what’s new in F# 4.0! We’ll take a quick tour of 6 new features in Visual F# 4.0 – constructors as first-class functions, simplified mutable values, a normalized collections API, ReflectedDefinition method arguments, static parameters on provided methods, and IDE script debugging.
Go to top
Visual Studio Emulator for Android
Apache Cordova for Visual Studio 2015
A short list of changes in the Tools for Apache Cordova for Visual Studio 2015:
Python Tools for Visual Studio 2015
Visual Studio 2015 now includes support for the Python language. This video shows how Visual Studio features like IntelliSense, debugging, source control and unit tests are available for Python, and how to get started.
Node.js Tools for Visual Studio 2015
With IntelliSense, advanced debugging and profiling, npm Integration, unit testing, source control, cloud deployment, and more… Visual Studio is now a full-fledged Node.js IDE. This video will help you get up and running with Node.js Tools for Visual Studio. We will cover installation of Node Tools, and walk you through the steps of creating, debugging, and deploying an Express website to Azure App Service.