Andrew Siemer's Blog

Enterprise Web Applications, ASP.NET MVC, C#, SQL Server, Architecture, & Writing
posts - 61 , comments - 145 , trackbacks - 0

My Links

Twitter

Friends

My Other Blogs

My public profiles

Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

WOW!  I can't believe how much time I just spent trying to change the browser I use to debug with in Visual Studio.  In visual studio 2003 I could have simply gone to File>Browse With.  This (at first glance) no longer appeared to me.  After some research I realized that I was in a "Web Application" project rather than a "Web Site" project.  This appears to mean something very different to Visual Studio.  So I created a quick "Web Site" project (something I never use any more for testability reasons) but still didn't find the "browse with" option.  After some poking around I found that this option was moved to the project context menu - but still only in the "web site" project.  So...in a "web site" project, right click on the project, "browse with".  In the window that pops up, choose add, and then browse to the firefox.exe file (mine was in in program files>mozilla firefox>firefox.exe).  Then hit ok.  And click the "Set as Default" button.  Now you can go back to using your "web application" project!

Print | posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Filed Under [ ASP.NET ]

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

Thanks for this... It worked a treat :)
12/22/2007 4:12 PM | Danny Lister

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

And then if you change your debug browser to firefox, is there any way to debug Javascript code in visual studio? It doesn't appear there is. I guess you have to use some type of add on tool like firebug?
1/29/2008 12:05 PM | control13

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

If you right click on a web page (.aspx) and then select browse with you will get a list of browsers. You can choose one to browse with for that instance...and you can set your selection to default.
6/21/2008 8:01 PM | Andrew Siemer

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

Thanks! Been bugging me for a while.

BTW, same process in VS2008.
9/25/2008 6:12 AM | Nate

Thnx a Lot Buddy...

Because of your blog, I had to spend only 10 min to find a solution for this problem :-) keep it up!!!
11/10/2008 11:31 PM | Hari

An Accident - Debug ASP.NET page in FIREFOX
1. Open solution in VS 2008,
2. Mark Debug Point in code
3. Run page -by default run in IE
4. Open FireFoX copy the page URL and run
5. you are debuging code in firefox.

12/3/2008 11:31 AM | Zan

Cool, thanks ^___^
1/13/2009 2:59 AM | GreenblitZ

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

For quick debugging try this..

Add Debugger.Break() into your code at an appropriate place.

Browse to the page in firefox (via localhost) if on local dev machine? and the Visual Studio Just in Time debugger should pop up.. select the currently open instance of Visual Studio and you can step into the code where every you want without having to start from the beginning or jumping to cursor.

-- Lee
1/22/2009 3:12 AM | Englestoe

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

That was simple! Shoulda seen that.

Thank you very much.

1/23/2009 1:40 PM | Roger Willis

Visual Studio .Net 2005 Open using mozilla Firefox

This is how you could Using Firefox (and IE) to debug your apps in Visual Studio .Net 2005.

1. Open Visual Studio .Net 2005
2. Click On File -> Browser With
3. If Firefox is not there then
Click on Add
Browser to firefox D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox or C:\ What ever
select firefox.exe
4. click on firefox.exe and click on "set as default"

You are good to go

8/28/2009 3:07 PM | Murugan Andezuthu Dharmaratnam

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

How can one set VisualStudio 2008 to end debugging when the FireFox window closes? This works for IE8 but not for FF3.6 now. In IE, if I am running in debug mode, and I have a browser open with my web page in it, all is well, and if I close that IE window being debugged then the VisualStudio debugging also stops. However, in FireFox, if I close the FireFox window being debugged, then the debugging in VisualStudio does not close. Any ideas? Please advise. Thank you. -- Mark Kamoski
3/30/2010 7:50 AM | Mark Kamoski

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

FileUltimate is an ASP.NET file manager control which you can add directly to your existing ASP.NET (.aspx) pages. The control renders a user interface similar to "Windows Explorer" within the page and this user interface allows you to view the contents of the predefined root folders and allow complete file management actions within those folders. File management actions can be limited by predefined permissions and quota limits on each folder separately.
11/25/2010 4:08 PM | asp net file browser

it helped me
10/13/2011 5:08 AM | Zakee

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

This totally works thanks.
11/5/2011 9:21 PM | birdie

# re: Changing your debug browser to Fire Fox in Visual Studio 2005

Thanks for that. I have been struggling to test jQuery Mobile 1.0 with IE. Works on FireFox.
12/21/2011 5:53 AM | David Rocke

Hello guys!
My problem was with php enviroment.

My solution:

Project / project properties / Configuration Properties / Debug / General / Browser Type

Set Default Browser value, then VS will use the system default browser when starts debug.
1/3/2012 6:22 AM | Jordan

# #re:TWO WINDOWS ARE OPEN IN VS 2008 WHEN I DEBUG

when i debug in vs 2008 two windows of IE are open.In which one window is blank and other window will open website.
1/16/2012 7:59 AM | deepak