Well, this has been an interesting adventure. I've known for a couple of months that my Windows XP Media Center install on my home computer was going downhill. The symptoms included the title bar of windows suddenly disappearing with the X (close) and min/max buttons reappearing once you hovered over approximately where they should have been displaying. Soon after that occurring, I would see strange and cryptic error messages when working in Internet Explorer. This would all start happening after the computer had been running for a couple of days. So I finally decided to bite the bullet and order the XP Reinstallation CD from Dell. I have a Dell Dimension E310, by the way. So I chose the Upgrade install option from the CD's menu.
FIRST INSTALL PROBLEM: STARPORTLITE.SYS File
After the computer rebooted the first time during the install, I received the following error:
"The file starportlite.sys could not be found".
Then the setup fails. At this point, you are now stuck with an in-progress XP installation that cannot finish. So you have to choose to reboot to regular XP since it defaults to continuing the setup each time you reboot.
First, a kind person on CNET forums told me that he resolved his problem by removing the StarBurn free download of the week. (Detailed Post Here) I removed this program as well. I also removed the starportlite.sys file from the leftover in-progress windows install directory just in case. So once I had removed all occurrences of starportlite.sys from my computer, I started over from scratch with the Upgrade Install of Windows XP. This time the install did not encounter the error with the starportlite file. Cool.
However, the install did encounter some issues. I got repeated occurrences of the error "The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeVersion could not be locatedd in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll" This was an ngen error. This was followed by at least one occurrence of a .NET runtime error that I missed capturing the details of initially. In any case, the installation did complete this time, but I was confident this wasn't going to be the last time those error messages reared their ugly heads.
SECOND INSTALL PROBLEM: WINDOWS UPDATES DOWNLOAD BUT FAIL TO INSTALL
After rebooting, the Windows Updates downloaded but failed to install. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows Installer 3.1 version per a very helpful article you can read here. Once I followed the instructions about getting a clean install of the Windows Installer 3.1 version, then the windows updates started working.
THIRD INSTALL PROBLEM: WINDOWS UPDATE for .NET FRAMEWORK 1.0 SP3 FAILS TO INSTALL
However, the update associated with the .NET Framework Version 1.0 SP3 failed. Ultimately this turned out to be a problem with the 2.0 version of the framework. I discovered this by running the command that was failing per the Windows Update log from the command line. This resulted in the following errors:
"The procedure entry point GetRequestsedRuntimeInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll"
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded."
The second error indicated to me that the 2.0 framework was corrupted somehow.
I ran a .NET Framework cleanup tool provided by Aaron Stebner's blog. You can find info about this at: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx . Thanks to Aaron!
So at least we now know how to get past three issues:
- The starportlite.sys reinstall problem.
- The Windows Updates download but fail to install after XP Media Center reinstall.
- And what to do when the .NET Framework install is corrupt on Windows XP Media Center.
Whew. That took quite a few hours and quite a few shouts of frustration. Fingers-crossed that my PC works happily for another year without incident. Hope springs eternal!
Technorati Tags: http://technorati.com/search/XP/